Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What should I bid?

What should I bid?

Local small farm auction. 71 T targa, Real barn find, chassis is junk throughout but mostly all there in original form. Primarily Interested in the matched set of 5 flat 6, non hearts.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  153.1 KB this one

Depends on how broad the auction promotion is, where it's located (rural NY?) and if any other Porschephiles have sniffed it out.

At the least bid what the wheels are worth to you, plus the parts value of everything that's not too roached to sell. Assuming you're gonna part it out.

And make sure your tetanus booster is up to date before taking that thing apart.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Banned
    Nothing exposes defective gene pools like a public auction. I'm guessing a smartest-one-in-the-room guy will pay 25+ for it.

Those look like 14" Fuchs to me but it could just be my ol lyin eyes.

Banned
    Love seeing old barns; especially unique ones.

How about pics of the property?

And that's a pretty cool old ag trailer as well.

See if you can capture the VIN...just for the record...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I have parted out cars in the past (no Porsches). It's a lot more hassle than you might think, disassembling, packing, shipping, etc.

But if you can buy the car at the right price, you can often do quite well, if you have the time. But as Frank notes, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone whose eyes are bigger than their restoration experience bid way too much for that car.

Buying an entire derelict car just for a set of wheels (assuming they really are the wheels you want) seems a bit of overkill to me. But if you bid for the wheels plus a little extra for some parts that are easy to pull and sell, and hold firm at that bid, you can't get hurt too badly.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

it is worth 10 thousand for the junk value

I once bought a SWB 912 for the (5) 15x4.5 Fuchs wheels. I also agree that parting a car is quite a bit of work. If there are 4 bolts on something, 3 of them spin off and the last one is either frozen or the head breaks off.

To each their own. I like a challenge.

Buy it for $5,000.00 and put a $100,000.00 into it. You will have a $105,000.00 Porsche worth a $105,000.00 but one you can drive and be proud of. Probably get $105,000.00 out of it if you keep it in good shape. An "S", "E" or "T"?