Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat belt restoration?

Seat belt restoration?

It is time to restore the seat belts on my ‘70E project. The webbing is 50 years old and the metal pieces need to be stripped and replated. I have ordered new correct webbing and labels from “Stretch” on this forum. I am wondering if there is a reliable expert source that can take my original belts, with hardware, the new webbing and labels, and make a new set.

Any suggestions?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Tom, call Seatbelt Planet (https://www.seatbeltplanet.com) and talk to them on the phone. I had them re-web the belts on my early '72, just used their normal webbing. But they seemed very open to me sending them either new silk labels or even my own webbing (or so I recall), and I believe that can re-plate the hardware too.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by tom1394racing View Post
    It is time to restore the seat belts on my ‘70E project. The webbing is 50 years old and the metal pieces need to be stripped and replated. I have ordered new correct webbing and labels from “Stretch” on this forum. I am wondering if there is a reliable expert source that can take my original belts, with hardware, the new webbing and labels, and make a new set.

Any suggestions?
    I thought that Stretch was only supplying the later webbing, not technically correct for 70/71.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    I thought that Stretch was only supplying the later webbing, not technically correct for 70/71.
    This the PM I received from Stretch:

"Your car would originally have had the plain black course webbing that is NLA. The webbing i am offering is what would have been in the reels. This is as close as you will get for your car unless you use old webbing."
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Tom

I know it isn’t original, but I would trash (actually, save them in a box) the original belts and use some inertia reel belts from any 85 or later Porsche. Your car is equipped with all the captive nuts for inertia reels so the upgrade is non invasive. Your belts are a major PITA
    to use and adjust.

Ssnake Oyl can also do them with supplied material: http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    thanks for the link!
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    But not the correct pattern or sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    But not the correct pattern or sheen.
    You can supply your own material.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Good to hear Mike. Think my webbing is cheaper too....!