Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One less 901 out there

One less 901 out there

I was moving some cars out of a storage barn today trying to get to a 914-6 that I'm going to restore. One of the cars I had to move was a 1966 S/R coupe parts-project car. It has a #s matching engine and trans. I put it in the barn about 25 years ago and had forgotten about it. Once the 914-6 was out and put on the lift I started to move the remaining cars back in the barn. I decided to give the 912 a look around, opened the trunk and deck lid. To my surprise the rear latch panel was flat, no indentations at all. For a fleeting second I thought that this could be a 901, then I noticed that the 912 had been clipped from the shock mount crossbar back. The original 901 engine mounts were hacked off and 912 mounts crudely welded in. The oil tank holes were left also. So this 66 912 was put back together by using a rear clip from a 901. Seems like a bit off a waste, but back when the work was done the 901 had probably been involved in a front end wreck and was just a parts car. Probably no way off ever knowing the identity of the 901.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

A nice collection there. If nothing else that panel could be used as a pattern.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

That's a great suggestion... Restoration Design would probably be able to use it...
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    A nice collection there. If nothing else that panel could be used as a pattern.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Understatement of the decade: "...Seems like a bit of a waste..."
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

we could narrow the possible donor cars down by

colour (if there is any of the original left on the fragments)
    position of the wiring tabs on the slam panel and wheel housing
    reinforcement plates on the oiltank holes

probably other parts of the donor car where used like deck lid or doors etc.
    those parts should have 2 or 3 digits stamped in

Moito here is a pic of the wiring tab and deck lid cable and tube from the back side of the slam panel. The doors are from the 912 but the deck lid might be a donor. Where would I look for any stamped digits? Thanks

Here is a picture of the three digit ( last three of the serial #) location;in the yellow box. May vary slightly.....cliff
    (Photo from Early 911 S registry archives, photo by Bobs 67S, I believe.........) post# 11 guy
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-30-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

I think the early deck lids ('64) had a provision for a weather strip that ran along the back edge. Might be worth checking to see if that's present...if so, then probably worth finding the number (which might require sanding) and also could be useful to someone restoring a 64.

I checked the deck lid for stamped numbers and came up empty. While I had the sander going I buzzed off the surface rust on the slam panel, treated it with a rust converter and primer. The panel has 3 or 4 areas of lead along its length (along with the edges where it is welded to the rear quarters). It seems care was taken to make this panel as flat and smooth as possible. If anyone is restoring a 901 and could use this panel let me know, its yours.

it appears as if the deck lid catch is the early type without the adjusting hole---is it? if so i`d be interseted in buying it
    the 2nd foto shows the rail for the weather strip on the lid