Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What year model Targa?

What year model Targa?

I have a 993 coupe, a 1971S coupe and a 1974 914. I’ve been thinking for some time of starting to keep my eye out for a Targa. I’m wondering what folks view as a good year/model Targa? Interest in various viewpoints....thanks
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

At various times I have had the same cars as you and enjoyed them all.
    But one one of my favorites is our 82 SC targa with its Factory original whale tail and front splitter.
    It’s just an 80’s icon.
    Some favor the later style gearbox but mine Is very smooth.
    Sport seats are a must.
    Top off easy and stores folded or open as mFitton has shown.

Let us know how search goes.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

A 1967 soft rear window would be the best and give you a different experience. Mine’s a 1970 as I wanted 2.2 as by 2.4 they lost the soul of the engine I like from earlier racier versions. MFI is also nice. But you have a 1971 so awfully close in feel. Hence 1967/68.

Thumbs up

Whoa...

Lots of different ways to go... From the completely stock, to the world is your oyster...

A local P-Car collector shows perfect/stock original '69S Targa in Guards Red over black w/sports seats w/hound's-tooth... and the car was ordered soft-window... It takes your breath away...

However, the way my tastes run to me my buddy Lars owns one of the coolest Targa's around...
    Lars calls it the BAT... (For Big Ass Targa...) It's a real S, and I believe with a 2.5 MFI motor...

That's me with Lars at Rennsport lunch laps ......… I LOVE IT !!! …
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 09-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I had a 68 SWT. Yup it is a different experience if you like primitive motoring. I did not keep it long. Too fussy with all the variations. For me Targas are kind of cushy so I would go for an MFI T or E for cruising with the top off. I do like the BAT above though!!
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Since a Targa is quite noisy already I would personally not go for a SWT; I also prefer the look of the glass window myself. So LWB 69-73. But for a bit of variety it would be nice to either go earlier than your 71 coupe, so SWB -- maybe you could find an early glass window Targa. Or go later as 71gold suggested. It's a nice problem to have!

My own mind is sometimes wandering towards an early SWB coupe... I always wanted a Targa but now that I have one, I'm thinking that a coupe would be nicer (and prettier) than a Targa with the roof on. And I just love the clean lines and beautiful dashboard of the early SWB cars.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    Since a Targa is quite noisy already I would personally not go for a SWT; I also prefer the look of the glass window myself. So LWB 69-73. But for a bit of variety it would be nice to either go earlier than your 71 coupe, so SWB -- maybe you could find an early glass window Targa. Or go later as 71gold suggested. It's a nice problem to have!

My own mind is sometimes wandering towards an early SWB coupe... I always wanted a Targa but now that I have one, I'm thinking that a coupe would be nicer (and prettier) than a Targa with the roof on. And I just love the clean lines and beautiful dashboard of the early SWB cars.
    I’m a hardcore swb fan. 1967 with green gauges and that great 2 liter. You really need to know how to drive them in their rev range and it’s so rewarding. But I come from the 356 world. Agreed the coupe is prettier but nothing like top off motoring on nice days!

In fact, I would seriously consider a 356 roadster or cabriolet instead.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    In fact, I would seriously consider a 356 roadster or cabriolet instead.
    Thanks ....That’s a consideration as well, but I have the same question - model and year?
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Buy a 74 Carrera Targa, the most original you can find with the factory duck.
    Name:  ca0816-244503_2@2x.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  95.3 KB
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  95.9 KB