Thread: Early 911 vs 930

Early 911 vs 930

I posted this on Pelican as well but looking for a cross-section of opinions:

I was hoping to get some opinions about the direction I should take from the vast experience of this group.

I am considering trading my Euro 930 that I have owned for two years for a 73RS Replica (built on 72T). The deal is close but not done yet. We are haggling over how much I need to put with the 930 to make it happen. I have owned an early car before (71T original and stock) so I know what I am getting into but with this being a modified motor on the RS replica, it would seem to be more fun than the stock 71.

I will list some details about each car and would appreciate any advice on whether I should pursue further with more cash or walk away and continue enjoying the 930.

Euro 930 - orig motor but built w aftermarket intercooler and K27, about 7k miles on motor, G50 trans swap, newer paint (orig color) and interior, 8" and 11" custom Fuchs

RS Replica - orig motor w 2.4S cylinders and 2.2E pistons just rebuilt claiming 9.8:1 compression, orig color restored years ago but looks very nice, no rust claimed (would verify w PPI), NOS parts used for RS look

I should also say I live above 8,000' in Colorado so my driving season is short and my roads are too much fun to describe but the elevation always seems to be a challenge until you get any older car dialed in correctly.
    S Registry #1229
    1972 Light Yellow 911T (RS look currently, ST replica coming)
    1984 Black/Black RoW 930 Turbo
    2004 Black/Black 996 GT3
    1971 Metallic Blue 911T Sunroof Coupe
    2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S (My First)

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver21 View Post
    no rust claimed (would verify w PPI).
    I would be careful as not sure a regular PPI would pick up all the possible places the rust could be...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

The decision has to be yours, but I would always prefer a normally aspirated over a turbo.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I live in Teton county Wyoming at 6,500 elevation. Been driving mfi esses for a long time with no altitude issues. Carbs, at least here, require tuning for the morning or tuning for the afternoon. The temperature spread can be up to 50 degrees or more in the summer so the density altitude changes dramatically. Add in a drive over one of the passes and you have another variable but at least you go back down and don't spend too much time too high. The thing I've been doing on carbs is lowering the injection quantity from factory spec. and jetting by trial and ear. Seems to work for me but I'm not a pro mechanic more shade tree. Go with the RS but take the ducktail off.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Am I totally incorrect in thinking that the classic answer to altitude is turbocharging?

Normally, I'd take a 2.7 Carrera RS over a turbo, but isn't a 2.7 supposed to have 90 mm pistons, not 84 mm? A mechanical engineer friend pointed out to me that a big part of the RS's charm is that Porsche did not do much to the 911S engine save adding bigger cylinders so it makes very tractable power.

How did the engine builder get a 9.8:1 compression ratio with pistons intended for an 8.0:1 compression ratio? Does it have MFI, carburetors, modern common rail injection or something else?

If I lived at 8,000 ft MSL and had a dialed-in Turbo I wouldn't be eager to trade for a very unique car that might be a challenge to keep in tune.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

member #1515
    It all depends on what you are looking for. I owned an 81 Turbo with mods very similar to yours. Great power, bad lag. I used it for long highway trips where it was always on boost, a great cruiser. On tight twisty roads it was hard to keep it on boost and felt heavy. You will lose very little power at high altitude.
    The 91 Turbo I owned was much better, the lag was not noticeable, an all round better car, better suspension and felt very nimble even with more weight.

My 73S has the complete factory RS mods and it has great torque, instant response and is very agile. I used it at high altitudes 5500-7200 ft. At that altitude you lose 15-20% of the power, so you have to keep it at it's torque band, lots of fun.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I have recently reverted my RS clone to a 'closer to original' look. Essentially just replaced the front bumper and ducktail for standard looking parts. I love the RS look, but I got bored of people asking me if its real and how much its worth. Everyone to their own, but I would keep the turbo.

Paul

I vote for keeping the turbo . Originality will be worth more than a clone , and why wasn't the engine built as a 2.7 ? I'm with PMNorris .
    Last edited by Richy; 09-10-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: add text