Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of carpet, rubber and signal lenses are best for SWB??

What type of carpet, rubber and signal lenses are best for SWB??

I am putting together my 67 912 and am in need of some new parts, but in a big market out there what should I choose of brands? Who deliver good/correct quality for reasonable price?
    -Carpet (salt and pepper)
    -Rubber moldings for Windows, doors etc.
    -Rear /signal lenses (euro)
    -Headliner

Any experienced thought are very welcome!
    '67 911S Sunroof, Polo Red(Project disguised as a G-model)
    '67 912 Sunroof, Light Ivory(Alive and kickin')
    '67 912 SWTarga, Signal Red(Project in the making)
    X: 67 911 Coupe + 67S Targa, 912, 924, 944, 928, 356

All good questions.. The carpet is the easiest as it was square weave wool for SWB 912 which I’m sure is readily available in Europe. Otherwise Autos international or Autobahn in California both make good kits. The short answer regarding seals is to buy them directly from a Porsche dealer Although in some individual cases aftermarket is perfectly acceptable. If you have an early short wheelbase car I would try to find original door seals, rounded designed with ribs Unless someone is now making them

Regarding tail/signal light lenses and headliner, best to do a search on this site. Finding accurate replacements is challenging and may not exist. If you could find original Signal lenses that are not cracked, they can be (carefully) buffed with polishing wheel

Have fun with your project
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

-Carpet (salt and pepper)

Yes, Autobahn or AI should be your first choices.

-Rubber moldings for Windows, doors etc.

I, and others, swear by factory rubber from the dealer.

-Rear /signal lenses (euro)

Unless you want to step up to NOS, I think the best repros right now are the URO lenses.

-Headliner

Lots of discussion. Search is your friend.

Unless someone before you put in square weave carpet, the 67 912 car came with Perlon, not square weave unless it was special ordered. Some 67s (e.g. 911S) came with square weave, but in the trunk only; the interior was Hargaarn (in salt and pepper standard) which the parts book calls Perlon Velour. Unless special ordered there were no carpets on the floor, only rubber mats on top of the bituminous padding. Again, this is for 912.

Thanks a lot for all your input guys!! Much appreciated!
    I will buy the rubbers from Porsche and check out the lenses from URO. Regarding carpet I will go for whats looks best but should be correct for 67 year. The car will have some 911 and S upgrades along with correct 67 Sportssitz and/or Schalensitz etc. So maybe square weave in salt n pepper looks best even if not 100% correct in my 912.

Anyone know prices on the carpets from Autobahn/AI?

If I were doing the modifications you describe, I would definitely go with square-weave carpets. Unfortunately, the "modern" versions of square-weave are not exactly like (and I think not as good looking and durable) the original material from the 50s and 60s. Modern "Perlon" is much worse than the old stuff. You can see through it if you hold it up to the sun. It is your car and unless you want to enter concours (with competent judges), you should make it what you want to knowing it will be beautiful. I'm pretty sure there are several suppliers of all the interior materials in Europe, some of them reputed to have materials every bit as good or better than U.S. shops. It would seem that shipping from a U.S. vendor would be very, very expensive to you for no gain in authenticity or quality. Your call, of course.

Sorry, I guess it was easy to forget that they switch to Perlon in 67. Strongly agree with Jim that you’re better off with charcoal square weave
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Thanks for thought, will.try to source square weave carpet i Europe, if I find good supplier. But not always that more expensive to ship from US.

Most expensive is the tax in Norway on imported stuff(25%!!!), also on the shipping price....�� Maybe I can pay one of you guys to buy and ship to me with the value on package set low��

I had a set done for my 67 in square weave from Lakewell in Europe. Very pleased.

For the carpet you can indeed use Lakewell here in Belgium or Cartex in Germany. (https://www.cartex.de/shop/de/porsch...urzer-radstand)

For the rear lenses, I just saw these (https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...ontent=app_ios) in Germany. These are the best you can find, but are still not correct. They have the Bosch logo, but instead of the IGM references, they have a SAE reference, because the maker used the US version to make the molding...