Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 300090

Quote Originally Posted by 300090 View Post
    Thank you Bob!
    I am sure that these details will allow the 300090 to receive a proper tow hook.
    Philippe
    We've not been able to confirm what 1964 cars had this early design but don't think that all, or nearly all 1964 Porsches had it. In fact it probably ended fairly early. The problem is that most all 911 rust in this area. IF a reader has confirmation that their car had or has this, please post. Also, ANY early factory photos of such would be appreciated. We've been unable to find ANY factory photos, bulletins, drawings, etc. documenting this design ! BTW, this is very difficult to reproduce and ours was made by a Amilia Island concours rerstoer/winner Dave DeMaria (greeat guy BTW!) . Thanks

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 08-04-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Structure shape changes during 1964 production

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    We've not been able to confirm what 1964 cars had this early design but don't think that all, or nearly all 1964 Porsches had it. In fact it probably ended fairly early. The problem is that most all 911 rust in this area. IF a reader has confirmation that their car had or has this, please post. Also, ANY early factory photos of such would be appreciated. We've been unable to find ANY factory photos, bulletins, drawings, etc. documenting this design ! BTW, this is very difficult to reproduce and ours was made by a Amilia Island concours rerstoer/winner Dave DeMaria (greeat guy BTW!) . Thanks

-Allen-
    Allen,

An example of this type of change could be in the area marked by the blue circle in the picture:

Name:  300090-towHook-04.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  105.0 KB

This area is original / untouched on the 300090.
    AND the boomerang-shaped part (marked in red on the picture) does not exist on the 300090.

Name:  300090-towHook-05.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  45.4 KB

I am curious to know the role of this "boomerang". Does anyone know?

Philippe

Allen,

What are those pronounced crease marks next to the tow hook? Looks like that car might have been towed in a wrong way somewhere during its life.

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Allen,

What are those pronounced crease marks next to the tow hook? Looks like that car might have been towed in a wrong way somewhere during its life.
    That is a common thought.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Allen,

No doubt and a German over-engineered and complex to make "strengthening element," and why it went away early to a simpler design. Note that the toe hook "flat piece" mates with the "crease marks" you mention. Thanks

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 08-06-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Just a WAG ... I remember, almost 50 years ago.... At EASY, He had a 911 that had been stuffed into an abutment. The front bumper and gas tank were pushed back to within inches of the dash board. The gas tank was turned up 90 degrees, every time i visited EASY i had to go back and look at this wreck. It was most amazing. If i recall correctly the driver survived.
    So possibly what you are seeing are "crumple zones" to induce life saving energy dissipation.

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the clarification. Just surprised about this. I think the stamping tool would have been quite involved and thus expensive. Why ammortise the cost over just 50-150 stampings? Seems odd to me. In addition, there would have been easier and less expensive ways to strengthen this area. I do agree that the Germans were/are known to overdo things.

From the pictures those "rimples" look pretty typical to those formed after a wrong tow. Anyway, I will gladly yield to the 901 experts. This is what makes this place great, learn something new everyday.

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the clarification. Just surprised about this. I think the stamping tool would have been quite involved and thus expensive. Why ammortise the cost over just 50-150 stampings? Seems odd to me. In addition, there would have been easier and less expensive ways to strengthen this area. I do agree that the Germans were/are known to overdo things.

From the pictures those "rimples" look pretty typical to those formed after a wrong tow. Anyway, I will gladly yield to the 901 experts. This is what makes this place great, learn something new everyday.
    Joris,

The very early 901s/911s were constantly changing in small ways. Beyond the ones with prototype chassis numbers, IMO even the first 100 or so could be considered quasi-prototypes. You know like Gmünd aluminum 356s and early Reutter steel "Pre-A's" Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Joris,

The very early 901s/911s were constantly changing in small ways. Beyond the ones with prototype chassis numbers, IMO even the first 100 or so could be considered quasi-prototypes. You know like Gmünd aluminum 356s and early Reutter steel "Pre-A's" Thanks.

-Allen-
    Quasi protoypes is probably a good way to look at the changes and costs involved, there was less focus on that in that stage but later on after production got more standardized. For comparison they made about just 100 904s, about the same number of 550s, only 22? R’s, etc.

Last I have not tried it but I doubt you can create extra metal for the ridge / bevel by twisting the tow hook (and not screwing up the complete front suspension/ tank support).

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    Quasi protoypes is probably a good way to look at the changes and costs involved, there was less focus on that in that stage but later on after production got more standardized. For comparison they made about just 100 904s, about the same number of 550s, only 22? R’s, etc.

Last I have not tried it but I doubt you can create extra metal for the ridge / bevel by twisting the tow hook (and not screwing up the complete front suspension/ tank support).

Richard
    Right. The odds of a "incorrect tow" resulting in symmetrical "damage" like that are about 0.01% IMO. Further much more attendant damage would be seen. Finally, the amount of force to do such would be so significant that the hook itself would have been yanked off long before. Thanks.

-Allen-