Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1973 Carpet Install Sequence

1973 Carpet Install Sequence

Hello,

I am looking for guidance on the install sequence of the carpet pieces for my 1973 911T.
    I have the below pictured German square weave carpet kit.
    Is the layout in the photo correct?
    Can anyone with experience possibly assign a number to the pieces with the correct install sequence?

I have seen a few different install directions but not certain on install sequence for mine.
    http://www.original911.com/docs/rs_carpet_guide.pdf
    https://www.design911.com/uploads/pd...Carpet-Set.pdf

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GJVGC; 09-12-2019 at 05:53 AM.

I did the front pockets then the threshold panels. Then the rear upper tunnel, then lower rear tunnel, then the front tunnel, then the rear seat lower front. Then the rear bulkhead piece, then the rear seat backs. Mats and tunnel snaps and other hardware last. Don't forget to put some shape in the front pockets before gluing. I made mine almost a 90 degree bend about 2" out from the door jamb. So the opening has a squared off shape at the rear. This was how my car came from the factory. I removed original carpeting and used as a template here and there. I've also seen original cars with more of a radiused opening. Your choice but you must put the shape in first.
    Last edited by steve shea; 09-12-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Lakeway.com has a good video on carpet installation with a logical sequence
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I used the same order as Steve. The pockets are the hardest part. The pocket should be parallel to the door jamb, extending in about 2 inches and then fold back to the wheel well essentially 90 degrees. The cardboard in the good carpets makes this relatively easy. The vinyl edging on that piece needs to tuck under the door seal, so that helps line things up.

I also put a bit of foam chip padding under the carpet that goes by the calves of a rear seat passenger (where the luggage tie downs are). It just made it look better.

Snaps are the last thing to deal with.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by csbush View Post
    Lakeway.com has a good video on carpet installation with a logical sequence
    Lakewell.com
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Thanks for the help guys.
    The lakewell videos I saw were for 74+ cars.
    Ill continue searching.

Can't take credit, found on the net years a go.

From the workshop manual (German):

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Got it done over the weekend using the photo and sequence posted by 68911+1
    Name:  81FBCD01-AA39-4905-B8AA-1D5ED29AEB8B.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  81.2 KB

It looks good. The rear tunnel access cover is supposed to be on top of the carpet though. Screwed through the carpet. The carpet should've been trimmed on the inner most edge of the opening allowing for the cover to sit on top for a cleaner finish. It looks like you may have enough material left to move the panel back and maybe get close. The ends of the tunnel pieces should be abutting not overlapping anyway.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club