Thread: 964 vs Original Oil Pump in 2.4 Build

964 vs Original Oil Pump in 2.4 Build

Good Day,

Looking for advice on my rebuild with regards to oil pump selection. I’m planning on performing the oil bypass modification on my 2.2 case and am torn between using a 964 oil pump that I have or just sending my original oil pump that works fine to Glenn Yee and have it rebuilt/optimized.

I have read lots of threads with conflicting information regarding oil pump selection and apparently most say to use a 930 pump or Carrera pump, but it sounds the 964 pump is also used in some builds.

The engine will be the following set-up:
    2.2 case with 87.5mm nickies and 9.5:1 CR for a displacement of ~2.4 liters
    IDS Weber Carburetors
    DC40 (mod s) camshafts
    Upgraded ARP connecting rod hardware (or Pauter Rods)
    ARP case bolts and cylinder head studs with case savers
    Cylinder mooning, boat tailed webbing and knife edge crank
    Counterbalanced crankshaft from a 2.2E/S
    Oil bypass modification and all other “standard” machining of case
    Cylinder heads ported and polished to 36i/35e “S” specifications and upgraded valve springs for more aggressive cam grind and to help safeguard a “missed shift” scenario
    SSI heat exchangers to an M&K Sport exhaust
    Distributor recurved for DC40 cam
    Expect 4,000-6,500 rpm as optimum range and setting redline at 7,200 or maybe a little higher.

Do I go with the 964 oil pump or keep my original and have it tuned up???

Thanks for your advice.
    Oliver
    71’ 911T Coupe
    72’ Land Rover Series III 88”
    Early 911S Registry #3663

My opinion is that once you do the by-pass mod you should no longer use the original pump. I use the SC pump to make use of the bigger pressure side gears.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I did the cylinder mooning , boat tailing and knife edging of the crankshaft . It makes a difference , the engine pulls strongly to the red line or 7200 RPM . I vote for an SC pump also .

As the answers above...

An SC pump is what I have in my 2.4 to 2.7 rebuild.....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I also have an SC pump in a 2.4 rebuild

SC oil pump it will be then! Thank you all for the responses and advice.

Will the case need to be modified for the SC oil pump, or is it a smaller casing like the original size?
    Oliver
    71’ 911T Coupe
    72’ Land Rover Series III 88”
    Early 911S Registry #3663

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    No, pump fits in original position, no mods necessary.

I used an SC pump and now I have VERY high oil pressure. Might me my bearing clearances. When you do the oil bypass mod you can use a smaller scavenge side and a larger pressure side. That's good, but watch your bearing clearances.

No way would you do a 964 or a Turbo or GT3 pump without fire hose piston squirters
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen