Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You The Keymaster?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar

Are You The Keymaster?

I took my '65 911 to Cars and Coffee Corona yesterday [Saturday, 21 Sep 2019]. On the way home I decided to stop at the World-Famous Flo's Airport Café.

Sadly, as I was about to go in for breakfast, part of my car broke:

Name:  Broken_Key_SMALL.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  76.4 KB

It broke in the driver's door lock and I couldn't get back into the car. I wound up Ubering home and back to fetch the spare key (the original steel key). I entered through the passenger door and the rest was easy. I got the 911 home and needle nose pliers easily got the broken piece out of the lock.

The key that broke was a 20+ year old brass key--not a steel key like Porsche once made for the car. Sierra Madre Collection does have a steel FL key blank for SWB cars with locking steering columns.

My original steel key's kind of worn and takes some fiddling to turn in the locks so I'm still making up my mind as to whether I'll have a new key cut to the code or cut to match the old key.

Check your keys!
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I have a Taylor key just like that, also on its last legs. Good reminder to bet my black and red keys cut before it strands me somewhere.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

It turns out the locksmith who handles key making for Sierra Madre Collection is very close to me. I had a new steel key early this afternoon.

For some reason there's no really good key blank for the FL key so the new key has different proportions.

Name:  2019-09-23 19.20.10 - Copy.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  137.5 KB

It get's the car started and will probably last at least 20 years longer then a brass key.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Hello together,
    I may have a solution for the FL Key.... unfortunately I haven't seen it earlier.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-key-with-Logo

Name:  IMG_5247.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  185.7 KB

Check your door locks

If your keys are bending and breaking look inside the door handle for added resistance to the lock turning.

The lock rides in the handle metal casting on a series of perturbing nubs. As the pot metal erodes and they wear - and collects gunk, it makes turning difficult.

Clean this area out and lubricate - the lock will turn like in butter… keys will last longer.

The worst was the key weakened by the door lock that broke off in the ignition - but that's another story.

hth
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Subscribed... going to follow the White Rabbit are we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=6IDT3MpSCKI

Quote Originally Posted by JackMan View Post
    Subscribed... going to follow the White Rabbit are we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=6IDT3MpSCKI
    I was thinking

Admittedly, Elferhelfer's offer of Long FL Blank key with Logo - has me thinking of going down the rabbit hole seeking correct glove box keys and correct Porsche key pouches, etc.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    The lock rides in the handle metal casting on a series of perturbing nubs. As the pot metal erodes and they wear - and collect gunk, it makes turning difficult.
    As explained, gunk on the protruding nubs can be quite perturbing.

By the way, I've had great and fast service from Tony:
    https://www.912bbs.org/forum/threads...4/#post-405753

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    As explained, gunk on the protruding nubs can be quite perturbing.

By the way, I've had great and fast service from Tony:
    https://www.912bbs.org/forum/threads...4/#post-405753
    That's good to hear about Tony Eugeano--people have had trouble getting in touch with him. Tony straightned out my 356A and I think I might have turned to him on the 911.

It feels like the resistance in my door locks is more related to camming the lock thingy open. I really, really hate going into doors and my Boxster's screaming for attention.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

@neunElf, lol The Original Keymaster, Ghostbusters Vixen!