Views: 1630
Size:  238.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  161.1 KBName:  tn_DSC01660.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  123.6 KBName:  tn_DSC01658.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  147.3 KB

I have very recently acquired a RHD 1969 911S VIN 119300908 and have now managed to get the Kardex details.

The car was sold through Porsche GB and delivered to Southern Ireland around March ’69. Its first owner was a guy called Cecil Vard (a wealthy furrier) who had competed in the Monte in the ‘50s and also raced a Frazer-Nash at Le Mans in ’54 – perhaps he had and developed his connection with AFN - Porsche GB over the years.

He entered and ran the car in the Circuit of Ireland Rally in 1971 of which there are some images and video on Youtube on a piece called ‘A Dash of the Irish’ – a 25 minute film – the Porsche featured - especially at around the 19 minute mark - being followed and commented on by Paddy Hopkirk. He also did the Galway Rally and possibly others – more research to follow there. The Circuit of Ireland has International status so its 8th place result is on the WRC Rally website. Co-driver was Paul Phelan.

I guess that about this time it needed a new engine. The engine fitted is a continuation number 6392129 so very late indeed and therefore I believe a factory supplied replacement. It is a 901/10 type but has no build number which would indicate a later construction. The gearbox has a LSD and is a 901/84 Neuburgring type - number 7394005. I guess this was a factory special order as they only appeared to supply 9 boxes in total of this type.

The car was sold in the early 1970s and then again to its last owner in 1977 – I am its fourth owner. The last guy owned a body shop and there are photos of it in various guises…His last work turned it into a 964 lookalike, with flared guards, later seats, centre console and massive wheels. The shell is original and it retains most of the original equipment which the Kardex lists as

Bahama Yellow – now blue
    Tinted glass all round
    Rear Wiper (not fitted but in a box)
    Recaro sports seats in black leatherette - replaced
    Sunroof
    Yellow Quartz front foglights – long gone
    Radio fit
    100 litre tank
    Rear tow hitch ??
    LSD
    Part bag on rear wall (whatever that is)

The current plan once I have smoked it around for a while is to strip it and give the shell to one of the top two-litre people in the UK to put back as it should be.

If anyone knows more of its early comp history that would be good. Also what a ‘Part bag on the rear wall’ looks like and ditto the rear tow hitch.

Herewith a couple of before pictures and what it looks like today.

Lots to do and I will be back for sure to ask for help with the small details. My intention is to put it back to exactly how it left the works…

Matthew

Very cool car. You already have more history on your car than most people would, and its an interesting history at that. It always amazes me what one can find under apparently normal 964s or other similar vintages. I know of an early ‘65 that also appeared in that guise. It’s going to be a lot of work to return that to the original yellow picture state. And a lot of $$$. If you are doing it for you, then go for it. Financially it may not be really worth it depending on how much you can do yourself.

I have no idea what part bag on rear wall was, though I suspect some kind of rally accessory. There were a variety of tow hitches used over the years. Some welded, some stamped steel. Is yours option 9521? Also typically a rally piece to pull the car out of a ditch at the rear. The standard tow points couldn’t take the force I recall someone telling me.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Congratulations for having that car Mathew
    it is a special one
    Jim has posted a link to the "parts bag"
    I have some other photos of it at the Circuit in 69 (I think) and 71 and at the Galway - if you dont have more of those I can post them for you.
    according to some records I have here Cecil Vard (in your car) was 6th at the 1969 circuit of Ireland (i think car #22), 12th at the 1970 Galway (car #4) and 8th at the 1971 Circuit (car #12)

a question on the gearbox however
    It is indeed a special one BUT is it 7394005 or 7394105? Both are Nurburgring ratioed boxes BUT i thought that the 73940xx ones were 901/79 and the 73941xx were 901/84. Does it have a type number stamp on it? there were 8 of the former ones made and 9 of the 901/84's made according to my records

here is (I think) a photo of it at the 1969 COI and the 1970 Galway and a couple at the 71 COI
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by Nashman View Post

Rear tow hitch ??
    Here's a link to pics and some details.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post738410

Great car. You are very far ahead with history like that already!

Tool bag option described below (9210), as well as tow hook
    (excerpt from 67 For the Competition Driver factory document)

Name:  1967 - For the Competition Driver p4 copy.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  175.6 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

The transmission is the 901/79 aluminium version
    the option code for the parts bag on rear wall is 9273
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Welcome Aboard! . . .

. . . love how these cars can show up --- and that people share them, here . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Thumbs up

Outstanding Mathew … and welcome to the board !!!

Hopefully MUCH more to come …

Cheers,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Restoration newbie.
    Cool car, post kardex pls.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Matthew

where are you ?
    I have some Porsche Posts I can look through from the day

cheers
    Dennis
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44