Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My new 911S....help required

Scars

Quote Originally Posted by Nashman View Post
    . . . my Kardex has a factory written reference number which I queried....everyone then worked out that it refers to an order number for Werks 1 race shop which is exciting...exactly what they did is yet to be revealed . . .
    Wonderful --- nothing beats a Kardex for providing some little clue to inspire. Please do keep us posted

As for removing any 'chunks of non-Porsche metalwork' . . . I wouldn't be too-too determined about removing all the battle scars. Your car has had quite the life, and, IMO, it would be a shame to erase all of it

My car came with a funky little braze repair on her left front battery box . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post474029

At the time, it never occurred to me to keep that repair intact --- I, mean . . . who would ever see it, right? . . . and so it was duly excised, perfectly

Now? --- all that's left? . . .

. . . are my pictures

Attached Images Attached Images  

Any updates on this thread ?

Hope to see it back to its Vard state.

Hi Majordad....thanks for your prompt....progress is being made and we are on our way.

The car is now fully stripped and has been carefully blasted revealing a very sad case. Still, it is now under the care of SportWagen near Southend on Sea who have just started the long road to recovery - I am waiting for some photos so will post those when they come through.

There is debate there as to whether it is worst case they have seen, or the second worst case - not much of a badge of honour. I had the wit to buy all of the panels prior to Brexit so they have pretty much what they need to be cracking on.

Lots of other bits acquired and restoration underway too...I could do with one nice RHD H1 lens 012 with raised lettering so they can go back together when the chromers have done their stuff. Will shortly be starting on blasting and treating the suspension and fitting up with new bearings/bushes etc so that is ready when I get it back too...which will be around the year end I think.

I am still very very excited about it and have done all the research I can. I have the Kardex, spoken to its previous owners and trawled the AFN archives....now just waiting for Porsche to pull their finger out to see the build book. As shown ealier in this post, the Kardex has the M-Liste number 370 which I understand effectively voided the Warranty and I am hopeful that Porsche will come up with something interesting. Given it did the COI just a few months after it was delivered I guess any subsequent Warranty work would have been a bit of an ask!!

I managed to get some groovy period thumbscrew Recaros which although not as per factory order, are gorgeous and will do the job. I also scored a copy of the Porsche 911 in Irish Rallying which features the car and has been a very interesting read.

That's about it for now. Once the suspension is done - its onto the loom which will be rescued with effort. I am so looking forward to a Bahama Yellow shell which is the right shape and all lovely....

Matthew

Hi Matthew
    While I was looking for something else I chanced upon some pictures of your car at the 1969 Circuit where Vard was 6th in it. They have not been posted here before so I am not sure if you have seen them
    one is a photo below and there are a few images on the attached video
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/040...ireland-rally/
    Name:  vard  1969.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  141.7 KB Name:  va.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  28.4 KB

given the Circuit was held on April 4 1969 the car would have been brand new at that stage
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776