Thread: Question on Hirschmann antenna from Stoddard

Question on Hirschmann antenna from Stoddard

I know there have been a number of recent conversations about antennas, but most have been aimed at NOS and original parts. I'm not after that, as my car will end up being a driver built on a budget. So strict originality is definitely not required.

That said, I'd like it to look reasonably close to correct.

The background is that my early '72 T was (apparently) Tourist delivery, and therefore spec'd out with a factory installed Frankfurt rather than the more typical antenna and loudspeaker package. While the original Frankfurt is long gone, the antenna is still here. I'm not going to worry about a radio now, I can deal with that later. But my car will be going into the paint shop next week, and the antenna needs to be replaced while the door is off. So I'm narrowing the options.

The original antenna is seized and the chrome is etched badly. I'm not willing to pay for the 'correct' NOS antennas that come up now and then, not for a driver. But I'd like to have one that looks as similar as I can get. Here is mine:

Name:  IMG_1682.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  39.9 KB

What I'm focused on now is the Hirschmann unit from Stoddard pictured below. (https://www.stoddard.com/90164530101.html.html) While I'm still pained to have to pay $250+ for a simple non-power antenna, It seems to be the best choice for what I want. The affordable antennas don't quite look similar enough for my preference.

Have any of you used this antenna? Question I have now is whether this antenna either comes with the black tip cap, or if possibly the original one I have might fit it?

Last edited by Arne; 09-29-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I would try soaking the antenna in Gibbs or something equivalent for a few days and see if that helps. I’m sure you could rechrome the top but and shim or find a decent one for a few bucks. I would try that before shelling out $250 plus for a repop...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    I would try soaking the antenna in Gibbs or something equivalent for a few days and see if that helps. I’m sure you could rechrome the top but and shim or find a decent one for a few bucks. I would try that before shelling out $250 plus for a repop...
    I know, $250+ seems like a lot for something that just looks close. I've soaked mine for quite some time, and the top section of the mast still won't budge. Plus the black plastic nub is split clear through, and there may be a chrome top washer missing as well. I'm going to need to replace it, and since I have to pull the door to do it, I want to do it once only with something I'm not going to obsess about later.

Since starting this thread, I've had more than one person contact me about other possibilities. Still thinking this over.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

A $25.00 Hirshman antenna, available from many sources works just fine. Anybody that cares about original antennas is going to know a repop from an original, whether it costs $25.00 or $250.00, and the other 99.999% of the people wouldn’t care.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    A $25.00 Hirshman antenna, available from many sources works just fine. Anybody that cares about original antennas is going to know a repop from an original, whether it costs $25.00 or $250.00, and the other 99.999% of the people wouldn’t care.

Jim
    The rational part of my brain agrees with you 100%, Jim. But our enthusiasm for these cars often exceeds what is rational.

I was originally thinking that the $25 version would be OK. I'd probably grouse about it to myself at times because I'd know it doesn't look really even close (to my rather fussy standards), and figured my wife would make fun of me for spending 10 times as much on one that looks closer but still not correct.

Then I was talking with my wife about things like this, and after looking at the pictures she was quite sure the cheap one wasn't good enough. (Her eye for details rivals mine, especially in visual things.)

No money has changed hands yet, so I can continue to think this over for a bit.
    - Arne

PM sent on this.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    The rational part of my brain agrees with you 100%, Jim. But our enthusiasm for these cars often exceeds what is rational.

I was originally thinking that the $25 version would be OK. I'd probably grouse about it to myself at times because I'd know it doesn't look really even close (to my rather fussy standards), and figured my wife would make fun of me for spending 10 times as much on one that looks closer but still not correct.

Then I was talking with my wife about things like this, and after looking at the pictures she was quite sure the cheap one wasn't good enough. (Her eye for details rivals mine, especially in visual things.)

No money has changed hands yet, so I can continue to think this over for a bit.
    Arne

If you had just bought the $25.00 antenna and installed it on your car and not told your wife. She would have complimented you on your shiny, new, straight antenna.

Regards

Jim

I want to thank the ESR community for all the helpful suggestions on this part, some public, many private. They have come from both ends of the financial spectrum, both more affordable and a few more expensive than the (already expensive) unit from Stoddard.

I thought it'd be worthwhile explaining the visuals that I'm focusing on when I evaluate a possible antenna. For, as Jim has noted above, any generic aerial would function just fine.

There are two parts that we look at. One is the size of the protruding black nub that the mast retracts into, and the other is the chrome on the top side of the swivel-base. Here is a comparison of the 2 primary choices.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 9.20.21 AM.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  38.6 KB

You can see the differences in them. The black nub on the left antenna is much taller and more like that of the original. You can also see that the chrome domed washer(s) covers a lot more of the plastic mount part. Having less of the black ball showing is a big thing for me—the partially exposed black ball just screams "aftermarket" to me. A third concern is the size of the nut. The nut on the cheaper part looks, well, cheap.

So far, the only antennas I've seen that look semi-correct are the $250 one from Stoddard, and a couple of even more expensive NOS Hirschmann (but not Porsche factory) choices. I've still got some time before I need it, but will need to make a decision soon.
    Last edited by Arne; 09-30-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: clean up wording
    - Arne

Before spending any money or more importantly, time on this, get a can of CorrosionX. This stuff will fix almost anything. I have saved many an antenna and used it to free up frozen wiper motors and fan notors, to name a few uses. This stuff rocks! You can get it on line or usually can find it in marine supply stores. Every one of us should have this stuff in our garage.
    You can thank me later.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Worth a try, Jim. Of course, I'll still need to source better chrome parts for the top side, or have mine re-chromed.
    - Arne