Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 LeMans - which factory werks cars were these?

1969 LeMans - which factory werks cars were these?

I came across a post from a few years ago here where they mentioned the factory tried to enter two 911 2.0 liters in the GT 2.0 class and were denied. They wore numbers 73 and 74.

Is it possible these were the lightweight 1969 GTS they entered in the Marathon de la Route?

Or maybe 1968 911R’s? Or early ST’s with 2.0 liters?

Anyone know the serial numbers of them?

I don't have the VINs (HughH or davep might), but the 69 version of Le Mans had all SWB cars if I recall correctly.
    I did some research on this years ago, maybe you saw that on the forum.

Not sure if the factory entries were the 69 GTS cars, but I would think the ACO would have frowned on them due to such limited production in a GT category.

Name:  _Le_Mans-1969-06-15e.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  139.3 KB
    Last edited by beh911; 10-08-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    I don't have the VINs (HughH or davep might), but the 69 version of Le Mans had all SWB cars if I recall correctly.
    I did some research on this years ago, maybe you saw that on the forum.

Not sure if the factory entries were the 69 GTS cars, but I would think the ACO would have frowned on them due to such limited production in a GT category.

Name:  _Le_Mans-1969-06-15e.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  139.3 KB
    Yes I read your earlier posts.

The list above are the entered cars. I’m asking about the ones that weren’t allowed to enter which means I assume they were disqualified - hence I suspect they were perhaps the GTS cars? Numbers 73 and 74.
    Last edited by rower; 10-08-2019 at 05:57 PM.

I dont recall ever seeing that reference to two "not allowed to enter" cars. I dont have anything to hand on them therefore but will have a look to see if i can find anything. It would help if you could find the original reference. They would not be 199R's though - they were very clear on the fact that those cars were not permitted. It MAY he been the GTS's but i dont think I have heard that in the past.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

There is a factory letter out there stating that 119300009 (the Marathon de la Route winning GTS) does not have documented competition history beyond that single race.
    Not sure what happened to the other two GTS cars
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

yes but that does not mean that the factory did not try to enter it into an event and were denied
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Here’s the sheet where it said “Not Accepted.”

Name:  B21FCE88-B436-43A3-8F32-537FD762D3ED.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  47.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    yes but that does not mean that the factory did not try to enter it into an event and were denied
    This was my thought too. It makes sense it was one of these endurance prepped lightweights.

These mystery topics are my favorite threads. Look forward to seeing how this one unfolds.

Raj, quirky as he was, had a knack for riddling out some history. Thank goodness Hugh, Curt & Thomas L are still here with their vast knowledge.
    -------------------------------
    # 2477

Rower
    thanks
    I had not thought to look there
    That is intriguing as the entrant is the factory itself as a werks entry
    Therefore they would not have been "normal" 911S but the entry is for a 2 liter car and I am certain that they would not have tried to use a 911R (no point by that stage - they would have tried them in 1968 if at all given the homologation status or lack of it)

The GTS's is a good guess. However by that stage they were over a year old (having competed in the Marathon in August 1968).
    It is too early (i think) for them to be Factory "ST's" as the earliest ones I am aware of are 911030 vins (and larger engine) and I am not aware of any other factory use 1969 track Competition cars (as opposed to customer cars and rallye cars)

I am fairly certain that the Le Mans race was run under FIA homologation rules (even though the ACO has its own rules as well) which means that the cars would have to be at least FIA homologated in the different categories. I cant see how the GTS's could be homolgated even for group 4 with all of their special bits that dont appear on my copies of the homologation papers . So they may have been entered as "911S's" and then either rejected immediately given the specs would have been known or failed homologation when examined. this was a period where Porsche were pushing the limits of the rules more than normal
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776