Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trust but Verify, I broke my own rule. .

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Yes, it was. The left rear quarter panel was a bit tougher, but I don't have good pictures of that handy.
    Great, good luck with the repairs and when on the road. We do all this work and it's always in the back of my mind at least whether a dope on their phone will put the car back into the shop.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Fuel door went away. I haven't added it up yet but a decent weight savings when you consider all of parts of the stock fuel door assembly. These fenders
    get final shaping still. After I'm done with the fitting the trunk lid I'll remove the fenders and get this fuel door delete perfect. It won't need body filler. It was very close but welding heat distorts. I'll have easy access to both sides after I remove the wings. You build these cars, take them apart, paint and build them again.

https://youtu.be/eoEI7PywOLY up
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Fixer; 12-22-2019 at 03:31 AM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Fine craftsmanship here.

This is the kind of stuff you never see, i.e. before, during and after.

BTW, can we agree that lumber is easier to work with?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    BTW, can we agree that lumber is easier to work with?
    Yes, and it doesn't rust
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

This is a fantastic project. Aspirational. Thank you for documenting the process!
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Problem is, it's hard to find anybody who can work with metal like this, hence the bondo and slide hammer repairs. However when done right on a car that's not highly valuable (like a $5k 911 back in the day) I don't get too worked up about it.

It can get a little silly, like when I was selling my 944 turbo last year and the buyer found an area in the rear quarter that measured 25-30mils, he lost his mind and said that car's got BONDO in it!! ..like I was trying to hide something on a car that had been repainted, Uhh.. 25 mils is the lightest of skim coats, totally standard bodywork prep, but whatever, he wasn't having it and walked away. Told me I needed to disclose it was a "bondo car". Crazy..

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    Great, good luck with the repairs and when on the road. We do all this work and it's always in the back of my mind at least whether a dope on their phone will put the car back into the shop.
    Thanks! I wish I could say I was doing the work myself, but I know my skill set, and this type of work isn't included. I have to pay skilled people for this.

As for keeping out of the shop later, years of motorcycling in traffic and on the road has honed my defensive driving skills and awareness of other potential hazards. That and some seriously bright LED brake lights...

- Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    This is a fantastic project. Aspirational. Thank you for documenting the process!
    No problem, I'll try and do more with more process details.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Meyer View Post
    Problem is, it's hard to find anybody who can work with metal like this, hence the bondo and slide hammer repairs. However when done right on a car that's not highly valuable (like a $5k 911 back in the day) I don't get too worked up about it.

It can get a little silly, like when I was selling my 944 turbo last year and the buyer found an area in the rear quarter that measured 25-30mils, he lost his mind and said that car's got BONDO in it!! ..like I was trying to hide something on a car that had been repainted, Uhh.. 25 mils is the lightest of skim coats, totally standard bodywork prep, but whatever, he wasn't having it and walked away. Told me I needed to disclose it was a "bondo car". Crazy..
    That is crazy. He mustn't know what a mil actually is��
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Thanks! I wish I could say I was doing the work myself, but I know my skill set, and this type of work isn't included. I have to pay skilled people for this.

As for keeping out of the shop later, years of motorcycling in traffic and on the road has honed my defensive driving skills and awareness of other potential hazards. That and some seriously bright LED brake lights...

I hear that. I just pull over and let the texters behind me pass. Your Porsche looks great.
    I do blinker LEDs btw, they catch people's attention. I was rear ended in my Carrera (3,2) in 09 and it messed it up pretty bad. She jumped out of her minivan with her thumb on her phone still. Her kids were screaming "we hit Sally!"
    Haverford Pennsylvania