Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R hinges

From an earlier thread on the gts years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rower; 10-23-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks but I am looking for the same angle photo from period.

Quote Originally Posted by sanders View Post
    Thanks but I am looking for the same angle photo from period.
    Very original car. I would be really surprised if they were painted.

There is a thread somewhere on this site that shows 00009 in it's SCCA configuration. Looks stock. Go to "1969 Competition 911" first picture in post #120.
    Last edited by sanders; 10-19-2019 at 01:59 PM.

There is a thread somewhere on this site that shows 00009 in it's SCCA configuration. Looks stock. Go to "1969 Competition 911" first picture in post #120.
    Yes, from what I understand from the petrolicious article when the factory sold it to their friend Al who wanted to rally in the US they added the lights etc. to make it rally spec. Most or almost all the trick bits stayed including most alloy parts. Interior looks absolutely original too. But the factory did add the front deck mounted lights etc.
    Last edited by rower; 10-23-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks all for your input. It appears that the ones that I am reusing had been painted on the car by Porsche. It was a werks car repainted several times so I am not sure about the hinge finish with first paint. To paint or not to paint?

From the pictures we know 28 had R hinges but it’s accounted for. 30 from the photos doesn’t seems to have R hinges. (At least it doesn't appear to my eyes)

So that leaves 29 which didn’t finish? What is it’s post Marathon history?

Note the red dish light confirming the red stripe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rower; 10-25-2019 at 12:37 AM.

My imagination is seeing body color hinges, that's why they are hard to see. There appears to be a shadow from the right side clevis pin holder. And thanks for the picture, it's not one I have seen before.

My imagination is seeing body color hinges, that's why they are hard to see. There appears to be a shadow from the right side clevis pin holder. And thanks for the picture, it's not one I have seen before.
    I agree that I can convince myself about the right side.

The left side seems hmmmm.

So on balance I was leaning to none but I’m reconsidering. You could be right. I am not sure why they would body paint them though.

that is a photo that I had not seen either
    Is there any indication exactly where / when it was taken?
    I only ask because the photos I have of car #30 at the marathon all have it (and car #28) with a tell-tail center stripe on the bonnet one Blue and the other Yellow but a colour photo of what i believe is the third car had no tell tail stripe.
    the car pictured has no tell tail but has a #30 - so i was wondering IF it is a a different time (maybe practice) or a different event (none known so far) or is actually 008 (#29 at the marathon) but in this photo wearing #30

Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  130.7 KB

Name:  aaaa.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  199.1 KB

I am not sure of the identity of the car on the far left but it was used as a T-car for the 1969 Monte Carlo rally and I believe the other 3 cars are the GTS's with the one second from the left (I assumed in the past to be 008 and #29 in the Marathon) the only one without a centre stripe
    maybe I have to re evaluate that assumption
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

That’s a good catch Hugh. Could it be the coloring of the photograph as well? If you look at the very front edge of the hood it is yellow. I wonder if any of the colors of the photo were distorted. And your photo above - that stripe must be red though it looks lighter I agree.

It appears to be film they used not paint. So when was it added? They had to drive from Spa to Nurburgring so maybe after they arrived?
    Last edited by rower; 10-25-2019 at 12:38 AM.