Thread: Fuel Pump and Suspension Cover Plate Issue

Fuel Pump and Suspension Cover Plate Issue

Hi All,

I appreciatie your time in this. I am working on an early 1971 911E. The restoration process is very very slow and a while back I decided to change the rear fuel pump location to the front area. De last couple of weeks I have been installing the suspension, brake cylinder and fuel pump in the front area. It took me a while to find the best area for the fuel pump but now I believe everything is perfect... Finally there is the moment when you install the Cover Plate (see picture). I expected this procedure to be easy and very satisfying. I was planning to open a cold beer afterwards because the front area was finished..

But...
    When I look into the area when the plate is installed I see the fuel pump sitting on the plate.. The plate is original and normal the fuel pump is not supposed to be there. Are there different Cover Plates for front fuel pump or no front fuel pump cars? Can anybody see anything wrong? I presume a fuel pump needs to be free to absorb the shock through the rubber fixation point only?

I appreciate your comments. Greatly appreciated

Adriaan

Name:  IMG_5019.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  100.7 KBName:  IMG_5020.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  87.7 KBName:  IMG_5021.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  123.3 KBName:  IMG_5026.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  73.9 KB

When I changed my 72 pump to the front I placed it where my 70 pump is located and had no issues with the original cover. It is mounted up higher against the bottom of the smugglers box towards the rear where the floor is higher of the smugglers box.

Mm I guess you are right Jule

Your comment is very much appreciated. The location is indeed off.

You can see here, inside the smugglers box, the location of the factory hardware that attached the front mounted fuel pump bracket on a 1970.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here are some photos of the fuel pump location on the '70E I restored a couple of years ago. There is a bracket that mounts to the chassis and allows the fuel pump to be tucked up higher.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Here is a 69 style fuel pump bracket that mounts to the crossmember. This is what you would need to ensure proper factory placement for the pump. You can certainly make it work without this bracket, but it’s a nice piece with vibration dampening mounts. Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  88.3 KB
    1969 911 E #824

Quote Originally Posted by xpensivewino View Post
    Here is a 69 style fuel pump bracket that mounts to the crossmember. This is what you would need to ensure proper factory placement for the pump. You can certainly make it work without this bracket, but it’s a nice piece with vibration dampening mounts. Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  88.3 KB
    Steve....That bracket is '69 only. It should work on a '70 but the correct '70 bracket mounts to the chassis.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

This is the correct bracket for a '70.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l+pump+bracket
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Understood Tom, and you’re correct. I was more or less saying that it’s a nice piece to retro fit a rear mounted pump to the front of the car.
    1969 911 E #824

Hi All,

Thanks again for all the very valuable comments. I used the pictures provided to make sure the mounting points were accurate. Despite that, the problem still existed. Suddenly...I realized the cover plate may not have been the original one. I compared the one I restored with another very dirty one and there is clearly a difference. De dirty one has more room for the pump. So is it possible the mounting plate I used is originally a SWB plate? Are there differences in those? See pictures.

Name:  IMG_5058.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  132.9 KBName:  IMG_5059.jpg
Size:  130.4 KBName:  IMG_5061.jpg
Size:  122.4 KB