Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SWB ballast resistor bypass relay, cover ink stamped or not

This is the same on my May '66 car...

Quote Originally Posted by 356rider View Post
    May/June '65 car.

Attachment 549204
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    Who does the ink stamp?
    I made my own. Have done the same for my 356 restorations

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Richard, sorry do not have a better picture handy but can take one if required.
    Attachment 549208
    Did you just clean the silver color hardware (regler, fuse box) or was it replated? If just cleaned them did you prep it w something afterwards to keep that mild shine for a longer time?

I am asking since I prefer not to replace and use new or replated parts where the original date stamped parts are at hand. Saving / using as much of the original parts and metal is highest in my picking order, regardless that they are not or even far from perfect.

Thanks,

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Richard,

Hard one to answer as there are so many variables that play into this, e.g. material, plating, condition etc. If it is about just making zinc plated parts (majority on our cars) look a bit better very fine steel wool and some specific acids (just wiping) would be my first port of call if you do not want to replate. You have to be very careful as the plating is sacrificial so not much will likely be left.

If it is about preserving what you have there are some products/waxes for this specific application out there.

Hope this helps a bit. If you can point to specific parts I can help more.

I believe Kroon sells a water slide decal for some of the relay models. I’m restoring several relays right now. My theory on the black engine panel relay was that it had a decal or marking that simply washed off due to exposure in the engine compartment and less so in the trunk. I have seen examples that are extremely faded on the black relay.

I’ve also just recently made my own water slide decals. It probably was either an ink stamp or silk screened stamp originally. One of my families companies does commercial printing and white ink on black fails easily. If you notice the gray and yellow relays usually have pretty uncorroded paint and intack markings based on likely being in a safe dry place behind the pedal board.

First

Name:  F925E9F0-6C86-40B9-9C08-365604C766C3.jpeg
Views: 244
Size:  76.9 KB

Early 66
    Name:  C51A4F57-C532-4A04-A1BF-22B623F3D49C.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  58.4 KB
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Thanks Richard

I’m working on white water slide decals for the black relay. I’m going to test next week.

I think they were originally balloon stamped. Not sure if that's the correct English translation

If looking to save original zink plated metal, after a mild cleaning coat with Gibbs Brand. It dries to a low luster and holds it's finish for well over a year.

This is the same product used to coat the Mag fan and housing.

If anyone is interested - after collecting a ton of 3/4 inch yellow tape, I found a roll of off brand that is very close to the original color and gloss. if your interested let me know and for the cost of mailing I will sent 10" or so to you.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Here is my first test decal. I'm still playing with the font. Going to the printer to have the laser white done.
    Attached Images Attached Images