Thread: Re-Introduction

Re-Introduction

Hi All,

I thought I’d do a quick re-intro as I haven’t posted here for a while. I’ve been a member since 2006 and owned my 65 911 since early 2004. I’ve not really been away, always reading what everyone’s up to and have bought a few parts. I sold my 65 RHD 911 earlier this year and my username LGK6D was the cars registration number. It didn’t seem right to keep using it so I’ve picked a new username (thanks Ashton).

Here’s a photo of the 65.

It’s replacement some of you may recognise as it was for sale on here with Don at Porsport. I’d seen it on Dons website and it looked like the perfect car for what I had in mind. My timing wasn’t quite right and the car sold in April/May 2018. I thought that was that. Fast forward to July 2018 and my Slate Grey car got an invitation the the UK Luftgekhült show. What should turn up there, but the Brumos 1966 911 Survivor which had caught my eye. It turned out that the guys at Sports Purpose had bought it along with some other cars. I asked if the car would be for sale and that I was interested. It did save me a long flight to be able to check the car out in the metal. I took delivery of the Silver 66 Survivor in February this year.

I knew it needed some work and did a few jobs as soon as I got it home. Rebuilt the pedal box as the bushes were mush, reset up the carbs and idle, valve gaps and service etc. That sorted it out in the short term and got me driving. I think it quite likes our English country lanes.

I’ve used it quite a lot this year. I follow the European 911 2 litre cup with interest. Some friends race in the series and so in May, I decided to be brave and make a run for the round at Spa in Belgium. The car had its first trip on the Euro Tunnel back into mainland Europe for the first time since it left Germany in 1966. Quite an adventure for a relatively unknown (to me) car. It got there and back without issue (Although I did take a lot of spares just in case). It’s also very handy driving a LHD car in Mainland Europe.

I did a few more little jobs, I swapped the steering wheel it came with for a 1966 Momo Monza, which is much more in keeping with the car.

Having proving the car could do the distance, my girlfriend and I decided it’d be fun to take the car through France to have a holiday. We planned our route and another trip to the Euro Tunnel in June. Again, the journey was uneventful and we had a great time (with a lot of untouched spares).

Winter has now set in, so I’ll do some more work over the hibernation season. So long term plans for the car? Well, the engine and gearbox are pretty tired. The last major work was a bit of an engine rebuild at Brumos in 1972. It smokes a fair bit and has a high consumption of oil. I guess the valve guides or the rings are done. I’ve started to collect some nice parts for the engine rebuild and with the friends in the 2 litre cup should provide some interesting opportunities. I’m not giving too much away just yet, but maybe the clue’s in my new username.

David - Previously LGK6D

Welcome back David... looking forward to more....

Cheers,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

very cool car, I was admiring it on Don's site. I really like the patina it just seems to suit it. Can you tell me the build date?
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Fubawu View Post
    very cool car, I was admiring it on Don's site. I really like the patina it just seems to suit it. Can you tell me the build date?
    Thanks, it was built on the 12th May 66

How wonderful that you are using the car as it should be used! Thanks for sharing!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Welcome back. A very neat car.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

David, good pics of a really cool car.
    Especially liked the one where you are parked up tight to that to that French wall.
    It bought back fond memories of when I vacationed there and those narrow roads.
    Looking forward to hearing about the winter engine work goes... I like 'sleepers'...
    Cheers,
    Iain

1970 911E coupe conda green
    2018 911 GTS coupe silver
    Early S Reg #3880

Quote Originally Posted by Ukusto View Post
    David, good pics of a really cool car.
    Especially liked the one where you are parked up tight to that to that French wall.
    And that might have been the situation where right hand drive would be more convenient!

It was a great holiday and it was the perfect car for the trip. It coincided with the Le Mans weekend, so the volume of fast traffic heading south was pretty funny. At each of the services everyone assumed we were also heading to the circuit. I did explain we were going on holiday, most people looked a bit confused. Early 911's really are great for road trips. It even did the weeks food shopping.

Here's some extra photos.