Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage porsche lighted sign plastic repair - Any suggestions?

Vintage porsche lighted sign plastic repair - Any suggestions?

I have an old early Porsche sign which is kind of brittle. I would like to make it more sturdy by applying an addition clear layer? Any experience, suggestions where to start?

Thanks

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Speak with a sign maker that does plastics for advice... my guess is that fiberglass resin may be the answer provided it doesn't react with whatever plastic yours is made of.

IIRC, thermoset (i.e., polycarbonate) materials should be OK. Brush or spray a coating on the inside of the sign, just as you might encapsulate surfboard substrate. Good luck!
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Thanks Russ, this is the direction I am thinking off.

Richard

I had a similar issue years ago. I had the sign wrapped in clear vinyl protective wrap by a company that wraps cars. Made a tremendous difference.

^^^ Now that's a different and far less invasive approach, bet it worked well.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    I don't think that will work w/ this lighted sign since it has much "relief" to it:

P1010424.jpg

BTW Please feel free to post a picture of other lighted signs. I just like lighted Porsche signs.

RIchard

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Worked great. My sign had lots of "relief" as well, not to mention some damage, but the guy worked carefully and t came out great.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Worked great. My sign had lots of "relief" as well, not to mention some damage, but the guy worked carefully and t came out great.
    Good to know. I will look into that as well.

Any chance you have pictures before and after that you can post? I have another sign (80's) that has a crack too.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    Good to know. I will look into that as well.

Any chance you have pictures before and after that you can post? I have another sign (80's) that has a crack too.

Richard
    Sorry, Richard. Sold that sign years ago.

51680D58-79F2-4C9D-A6C7-20AE445D9194.jpg

I have this one I was told was from the 80’s. Plastic / fiber glass is very thick and sturdy.