Thread: Anyone know anything about this 1970 911S race car?

Anyone know anything about this 1970 911S race car?

Hi all,

I am trying to find additional information on this particular 911S project. It was originally a 1970 S Targa, but was built in around 1977 to be a DP SCCA car by Don Istook (with help from this board's very own Bob Aines) and raced in the Texas region SCCA, won a bunch of regional races and finished 3rd at the Runoffs like this:

Name:  81ra-65.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  110.2 KB

I have a pretty good idea of the early history, but it was then sold to Showroom Stock champion Dale (DJ) Fazekas, who converted it over to a coupe, with coilovers and a semi-tube front end and ran it in the Midwest for a few years. Apparently Will Zobbe of Indianapolis did that work. I have almost no information or photos from this point on:

Name:  84-20.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  333.0 KB

I know Fazekas didn't have as much success with the car as Istook did, probably mostly due to Don building the car and knowing it well, whereas Fazekas had some reliability issues, despite the car being fast.

Here is how it showed up at our shop, after sitting for 7 years. It had been converted to RSR bodywork and was being run in FL in HSR and SVRA by a guy named Clem Wierstahl:

Name:  IMG_0157.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  88.8 KB\

We plan on restoring it back to it's Red Roof SCCA DP spec, and would appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by MikePTH; 12-11-2019 at 10:13 AM.

hello we took that car in trade from dr bodine in Minnesota early 1990 isold Bodine an ex Heimrath 72 2.5 S that i restored
    we converted the 911 to 74 RSR and 3.6 .i sold it to Clem and took in trade 356 race car ,lost track after that
    jacques

by the way we still have the younblood wheels

Whoa, that's great info! We didn't even have a Dr. Bodine listed in anything we got with it. I'd love to get my hands on those wheels if you'd be willing to let go of them.

Thanks,

Mike

This project is getting started this week, we are going to cut off the RSR bodywork and strip the car in prep for blasting. I figure we have about 12 weeks before it gets paint, so I'd love to have any research we are doing wrapped up by then. Any others know more?

I'd especially love to hear what the interior looked like, I don't have a single photo from back in the day!

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. Rivard, I'd LOVE to get my hands on those wheels, please PM me when you get a chance. With any luck, we'd love to have this thing ready to race by Rennsport. Clock is ticking!