Thread: Early S Forum Infiltration????

Early S Forum Infiltration????

I just checked my profile randomly and saw this:

NOT ONE OF THESE MEMBER NAMES HAS EVER POSTED ANYTHING

This doesn't give me a very warm fuzzy feeling . . .
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

It's constant and it affects everyone on this site. SSL certificates and HTTPS protocol upgrades have been suggested to no avail... and remember, we don't have a vote on such matters.

Recent Visitors

The last 10 visitor(s) to this page were:
    aherrmanngreg, auggjacket, cizchas, dzzadevi, iotrawickreyn, lsissellbren, niernola, oewandoskmanu, wawwesp, ydwayroyt

This page has had 2,133 visits

Busy bots at work. But for what?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

This is my thread starting in Feb 2019, and nothing has changed, so yes, we are under attack.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...range-activity
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I also had 10 oddball visitors?

Almost everyone will have the ten oddballs, and if you check tomorrow, probably ten new oddballs. Back in Feb I identified over 200 oddballs; weird names and no posts, but found on many profile pages. So these oddballs check out our profiles looking for info on us that is useful such as email addresses, phone #'s and street addresses. We are being targetted, no doubt about it.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

This type of thing is not unique to this forum. It happens on any internet forum where member accounts can be created without human approval.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

These guys are mining profiles for easily compromised passwords or modern day chatter boxes oversharing personal data in their profiles.

As long as you have an extremely strong password on your account (to thwart account takeover for fake for sale listings) and don't go on about yourself in your profile (full name, address, contact details, favorite chia pet, etc), you are probably fine.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    It's constant and it affects everyone on this site. SSL certificates and HTTPS protocol upgrades have been suggested to no avail... and remember, we don't have a vote on such matters.
    Exactly. But I'm on this. More to come very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    This type of thing is not unique to this forum. It happens on any internet forum where member accounts can be created without human approval.
    That's an overly broad and untrue statement. I personally own forums that avoid these problems without human involvement and there are numerous things we could be doing to better protect our members (or, as Chuck would say, users).

Full disclosure: as an Internet professional, I don't lay awake at nights worrying about it only because of the limited personal data involved. That doesn't excuse the inferiority of nearly every aspect of these forums.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 12-23-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    That's an overly broad and untrue statement. I personally own forums that avoid these problems without human involvement and there are numerous things we could be doing to better protect our members (or, as Chuck would say, users).

Full disclosure: as an Internet professional, I don't lay awake at nights worrying about it only because of the limited personal data involved. That doesn't excuse the inferior quality of nearly every aspect of these forums.
    I agree, really. My IT experience (before I retired) was building, securing and maintaining the servers and OS. So I dealt with physical and network security for the most part, not application security.

As you noted, there really isn't much at stake here, but it does indicate that improvement is possible.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic