Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ready-Set-Go....

Since I’m waiting for parts it time to turn my attention to the rat buffet. Looks like the little buggers stopped first at the engine bay for appetizers before moving on to the trunk for the main course. Just one broken wire and a couple of small nibbles on the insulation in the engine bay, but oh boy oh boy did they have quite a feast in the trunk! Oh, and on the way to the trunk one of the despicable rodents chewed a couple of the starter wires in half. Fortunately of the two out of three battery cables the little varmints chowed down on they ignored the one going through the tunnel to the starter. Since the terminal ends are clamped and not swedged I just ordered some battery cable and rewired them. I’ll have to remove the blower assembly to see if they did any damage behind it.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

The mice must love burgundy 911s, I bought a burgundy 1970 T from the original owner a few years ago with a major mouse problem. No wire damage but the smell is still etched in my mind. I opened the hood and there was a perfectly round heaping nest you could just see the corner of the original tool kit sticking out from under it. To this day I wish I taken a picture of that. I cleaned mine up and am just driving it. No restoration planned either. They don't all have to be perfect to enjoy.
    Registry #2507

1970 911T

Ha, maybe the earth tone color and the shape makes them think it’s a pile of rocks to hide under. After sitting in my garage for 5 years with the windows down and the trunk and hood open, along with several trays of baking soda, the stench has finally subsided. Or maybe I’ve just become used to it
    1969 911S

Well I removed the blower and the news was not good! Must be at least a dozen wires chewed in half. Looks like it’s going to be fun to splice most of those. In the meantime I’ve been doing a lot of parts cleaning and other small projects. The electric fuel pump was seized so I disassembled it and freed it up, that’s 8 or $900.00 I can spend elsewhere speaking of pumps, I got my fuel injection pump back today. Marty said besides the rack being seized all the pistons were as well. He also checked all the injectors and said that they sprayed fine. I hope it works as good as it looks...
    1969 911S

Well, after way too many hours or studying wiring diagrams, starring at broken wires, and trying to figure out what sections of wires were missing I got the under hood wiring puzzle put back together again. I must of made more than 40 solder connections! The good news is that other than the engine gauges that I can’t check yet everything works including the clock and radio! The engine gauges are the ones I was least worried about, so I’m feeling good about them. Ed is done with my valve job and said the cylinders were ok to re-ring, but two sets of rings are on back order so now I’ll turn my attention to reinstalling the heater blower and putting in the new fuel tank.
    Having such a comprehensive project makes these difficult times much easier to cope with.
    Hope everyone is staying safe.
    Mike M
    1969 911S

After getting the electrics sorted out I turned my attention to the horns. They were getting current but no sound or even vibrations, so I disassembled them for inspection. Everything looked good other then being dirty. I cleaned them and filed, well sanded actually, the points and that fixed one of them. Upon closer inspection of the still disabled horn I found the wires coming off the coil to be broken. Out comes the soldering gun again and after some delicate work I now have two working horns!
    I then moved to the other end of the car and pulled the axles out of the rear hubs to inspect things. Good thing that I did, as I found some slop in the passenger side bearing. Looks like I know what I’ll be doing tomorrow
    1969 911S

Been a while since I last posted, but that doesn’t mean that I haven’t been doing any thing. In fact I have been working on it almost every day. I have the new tank in and all the new fuel lines rank, tested the pump and it is working. Got the new rear wheel bearing in and the fronts repacked. Put a new boot on the steering rack and several other small boots. Installed new heater cables both inner and outer. Repacked the rear axle joints and greased and flipped the trailing arm bolts.
    I thoroughly cleaned the engine bay and made a valiant effort to save the paint on the body. Did a little wet sanding then two different rubbing compounds followed by swirl remover and then polish. Gave my buffer a real workout! Unfortunately there is some very noticeable spots on the drivers rear quarter where the paint has blistered off. Most of the rest of the car has checking and crazing along with a few small dings. All things considered though, it doesn’t look too bad, that is if you like patina
    I solved my missing floor carpet by calling Bob at Appbiz who agreed to sell me just the floor pieces. Although as he said it won’t be exactly the same, it looks close enough to not be noticeable. Remember this car is going to be a driver with plenty of patina.
    I got my parts back from Mayo Performance and have built the long block. Will take it in to local Porsche shop the middle of next week and have them time the cams. After that it’s just bolt on the top of engine parts and the new SSI’s and put her back in. Should be driving it in two or three weeks.
    Oh I also got a couple of boxes back (finally) from PMB!,
    1969 911S

Great work on your car and smart to send what you can to Ed.

My car a ‘71T was also a wildlife refuge for both squirrels and mice. Sitting in a garage neglected for years. It too just happens to be Maroon.

As disgusting as the rodent destruction is, I’d much rather deal with it than the tin worm!

Your right about Ed. Not only does he do it the right way he goes out of his way to explain things to you so you know how it’s being done. I appreciate that!
    1969 911S

Ready to go home! Hope to reinstall on Friday when I can get some assistance.
    It was really hard to resist the urge to “tart” it up, but I wanted to keep as much of the patina so as to match the rest of the car which has plenty of patina of it’s own I did concede however, to powder coating the tin since some of it was starting to get a little rust and I wanted to stop it before it got serious. Went with new SSI’S instead of repairing the OEM heat exchangers. Certainly don’t want to try and replace those while the engine is in the car! I did spend many hours meticulously cleaning everything however.
    I didn’t split the case, but with less than 70,000 miles on it, and all the top end work I did it should be good for another 75 or 100 thousand miles before needing major work again. Let’s hope so!
    As I’ve never driven this car I am extremely excited to be so close.
    1969 911S