Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready-Set-Go....

Ready-Set-Go....

Ready? You bet
    Set...yea, well it's sat in my garage for 5 years after sitting in some else's shed for 25 years.
    Go... Finally got started a couple of days ago!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

So....first a little background. I worked with a little old lady, literally about 5' tall and now near 80, for about 10 years before I found out that the 1969 911s that she used to drive was still sitting in her "barn". Nearing completion of a frame off restoration of my 69 Datsun 2000 which I have owned since 1972 and nearing my retirement I thought that this would be a fun project for retirement. I immediately started making offers and giving her reasons to sell it to me, however she just wasn't ready to let it go even though she knew she would never get it back on the road again, but that's another story. After two years of trying to purchase it from her to no avail she retired and I thought all was lost. She, however would drop by the workplace from time to time, and one day she came in and said that she thought she was ready to let it go. A deal was struck!
    Sometime around 1990 the clutch started slipping and the car was parked in the shed while she waited to find the funds to repair it. Unfortunately it languished there much longer then she expected and proper storage preparations were not performed. Worse however, they lived in a rural area and the rats found it to be an inviting habitat. The trunk and engine compartment made a nice nest and a good place to store food, not to mention that some of the wiring made a tasty snack!
    The good news is that it is relatively low mileage (about 68,000) and virtually rust free. The interior is in very good shape with no rips in the vinyl or the houndstooth cloth. Sheepskin seat covers are ugly, but at least they saved the seats The dash has the obiglatory crack by the speaker and the front carpet on both driver and passenger side is missing. It has an incorrect fiberglass S front spoiler, the engine grill was replaced with a later black grill (at least it's OEM) the license panel is also fiberglass, and the radio was purchased in 1972. The body has some small issues, most notably blistering paint on the drivers rear quarter due to some slight damage it received while in the shop for repairs many years ago.
    My plans for the car are to fix the mechanicals and extensively clean it and then enjoy driving it. I may paint it, or have it painted depending on how much of the original paint I can bring back to life. One thing I won't do however, is to restore it to concours. My limited funds just won't allow it, and my desire to drive it instead of just looking at it take precedent anyway. I restored my Datsun to a high "driver" level condition, but certainly not concours or 100% original. I did 99% of the work myself and it took about 5 years (well I did have a little go around with cancer that took about a year and a half out of my life) I don't want to take that much time again, and if I worked slow then, well you can imagine how much slower I will be now!
    I have spent the last 5 years reading (but seldom posting) and learning all I can about these early Porsches. I have learned quite a lot, but certainly not enough. With that being said you can be certain that I will be asking lots of questions throughout this endeavor, so thanks in advance for any future help and advice offered.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

That looks like a solid project. The Kardex for the car can be obtained.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

That sounds like a nice project. Take on one piece at a time, and then one day it will be ready for the road again. Good luck
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

Great intro. Please keep the thread going!
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

great project …. it is fun working on these cars when it can be done on your own timetable... enjoy

Are those H 1 headlights? 69 S.......wow
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

I love those pics! intriguing, exciting

Outstanding !!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Looks to be a nice car to start with, sits square with nice hood gaps. Hopefully all the original MFI bits are there. Good Luck.