Thread: Custom question for the Interior Quarter window area

Custom question for the Interior Quarter window area

Hi.
    So Have a question.
    Im making a 67 R replica, but I have decided to add square weave carpet. And Its really made a mess of everything

SO, On the rear quarter panel (that should be bare metal) I now have RS carpet. And I have a garnish rail for the horizontal under window peice and a custom to SWB wrapped garnish rail for 1/2 of the door pillar.

MY QUESTION?

What should I do for the upper pillar post?
    I made a quick vinyl wrap but I dont love it.

Any ideas?

Name:  20191227_153952.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  105.9 KB
    Name:  Porsche-911-Headliner-Fitted.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  134.2 KB

i don't see any other options.
    you cannot put carpet there. and you cannot leave it blue. and headliner in that area might be weird.

my vinyl on the pillar has a very thin layer of felt under it...and it makes all the difference.

but you could put vinyl where the carpet is.
    Last edited by Scott A; 12-27-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Same vinyl that's on the A pillar would be correct... and no offense, but square-weave in an R replica?

Name:  Rennsport Reunion IV 037.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  104.3 KB
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Yes. Carpet. I went that way. I actually want to drive it and have it be civilized enough to get coffee. Instead of a full out track car.

I did go with a lot of R parts. The car is a 68 912 with a big bore kit and 125 hp. narrow body. Its how Id imagine a 912 R if I bought one back then. Although I envisioned a 4cam but cant afford that.

Corduroy Speedster seats.
    Correct R steering wheel.
    Correct panels modeled off of of an R that was repaired.
    911R custom narrow body front fenders
    Original 911r Mold
    RSR type hood with balsa and amber liner
    911R Narrow front bumper to Werks spec
    911R Narrow rear bumper to Werks spec
    911R rear deck lid with amber liner
    911R plastic door handles
    911R rear tail lights with lights
    911R engine lid grill
    Rear lid black strap hold downs
    Hood black strap hold downs
    911R stainless lid hinges
    911R acrylic vented ¼ window with trays
    Acrylic door windows with leather pulls straps
    Leather door stops
    911R front turn signal / side marker lights
    911R exhaust.
    Last edited by Longhitv; 12-27-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Get some 1/8 " thick foam and put that on first, if it is not enough, add another layer It is the foam that gives it that filled look

Thanks, Rick

I don't think Porsche built 912Rs to buy back then. But stephers is correct on the foam or do felt. Either way will smooth it out.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    I don't think Porsche built 912Rs to buy back then.

No , they didn't. Porsche did consider a 4cyl 'R . But Only 4 912s owned privately had Porsche support in rallying. What I was conveying was if I wanted Porsche to make that 912 R....really Porsche then would make you anything if you opened your wallet, Im trying to make what I could. A 4-cam power-plant would be the dream.

A SWB 912R with a 4 cam 904/rsk 180hp 1.4 litre would have been a very fast, lightweight car in the 912 line up if it were created.
    Understandably, the 912 was meant for "bridging the gap" to a 911, so its easy to see why Porsche went with a 911.
    Last edited by Longhitv; 07-01-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Im trying to make a car that in 1967 I could have ordered as a 912 Race car.
    Just with carpet( smells and feels nice) and I can only afford the big bore kit on the 912 engine. For now
    Name:  20200603_224935.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  154.8 KB