Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushfires

Bushfires

Hi
    Just wanted to send thoughts to all affected by the horrific bushfires currently being experienced in Australia - I hope you're holding up at this time...
    Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

yes Stephen

It is an horrific situation - and expected to last for some time (maybe months) until finally under control and out. Many people have now lost their homes (over 1000 homes and structures) and most of their possessions and unfortunately an increasing number have lost their lives many of them "in the line of duty" as firefighters- and that toll is expected to climb over time. Some small towns here in Victoria have been all but wiped out and the situation in NSW is just as bad - probably worse

Fortunately i am well away from the affected areas although i know them well.

My thoughts are also with the people affected and I am heartened by the response of the community and business in providing assistance. For example my local coffee shop opened on Christmas day, everyone working there volunteered their time and they donated all but $1 per cup of coffee to the fire relief services. Combined with donations the customers left there as well that shop raised over $2000 for the relief effort on a day that they would have otherwise been closed for the holiday.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Looks really horrible, Hugh, and only getting worse... here's hoping those in positions of authority make the right choices... and that the destruction of all flora and fauna ends really soon...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Thanks for the update and info Hugh...
    I had an email check-in with Mike Jacobson (Spyder Automobiles) in Warragul a couple of days ago....

It was hard for me to imagine the scale of the devastation until someone showed a area chart comparing your fires and largest fire we EVER had in the state of CA...… My lord, there was NO comparison, not even close …

Stay safe mate,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Devastating is definitely the word, as Hugh mentions the structures and loss of life, flora and fauna, with the estimates of native animal deaths at heart breaking levels.
    No relief in sight.

Chris
    you stay safe too mate
    most would not know that Chris is a "Firee" in the Adelaide ranges traditionally a very bad and dangerous area for fires and in particular for those fighting fires
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thoughts and sympathy's to those that have lost loved ones, houses and possessions from your neighbours here in New Zealand.
    The latest news is that today is the most serious with temperatures soaring and high winds which have pushed the fire to the containment line of suburban Western Sydney which it is likely to breach.
    3500 firefighters are battling the blazes in New South Wales.
    A total fire ban remains in place across NSW as 130 fires ravage the state, including 50 which are out of control. So far, 1365 homes have been lost – 449 of them since New Year's Eve – while 3.6 million hectares have been burnt this fire season.
    Be sensible, be safe and follow the directions that the NSW Fire Department are constantly issuing regarding evacuation procedures and road closures.
    Absolutely horrific and a horrid way to start 2020.
    Thoughts are with you all from New Zealand.
    Mark

I have a business right on the fringe of the main disaster area in the State of Victoria, missed us by less than 2km last week and not completely safe yet

Finally have a little rain this evening but we need bucket loads to put the bloody things out.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Thanks for the update and info Hugh...
    I had an email check-in with Mike Jacobson (Spyder Automobiles) in Warragul a couple of days ago....

It was hard for me to imagine the scale of the devastation until someone showed a area chart comparing your fires and largest fire we EVER had in the state of CA...… My lord, there was NO comparison, not even close …

Stay safe mate,
    cm
    Warragul is one of the wettest places in Victoria in winter and it's still very green currently so he's in a good place.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Thanks for the update Clyde.... Hoping the defense and luck holds for you property...

As I've said, it's hard for me/us up here to grasp the scale of your fires...

To you and my fellow TYP901'ers.. and all down there... STAY SAFE !!!!

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter