Thread: How to make new rubber gasket/moldings nice and useful

How to make new rubber gasket/moldings nice and useful

Some new rubber parts have that white powdery appearence from talc or chalk or whatever it is!
    What's the best way to get them nice and useful?

Bengt
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

Ben, That residue is a mold release agent, Use a aerosol silicone spray to condition them.
    registry #2072

Ultrasonic cleaner also works well for this.

Thanks for all answers
    I am not so fond of silicone based products on and around my cars. So I looked for the Wurth silicone-free product but didn't find it in Sweden, and ended up with the equivalent Sonax product "Kunstoff Gel Aussen". It is for exterior parts, plastic rubber and all syntethic materials. I didn't think about using the ultrasonic cleaner before but will give it a try on the rubber gaskets for the rear lights, they are in a really hopeless condition as new.

Up till now I've used degreaser and elbow grease, a brush and a good massage with Gibbs and let it dry/soak in over and over ..and over again. That procedure would've been a nightmare for the rubber door seals and trunk seal that are now very white.
    I let you know how it works out

Bengt
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

Quote Originally Posted by gtBen View Post
    Thanks for all answers
    I am not so fond of silicone based products on and around my cars.
    Yeah, pretty sure silicone and rubber don't mix. Believe it dries out the rubber
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold

Silicone won't harm rubber. I just think other products are better and I don't like silicone in my shop as we paint from time to time and silicone is the enemy of paint.

The most versatile products for rubber protection and preservation is glycerin (or Vaseline). Nearly all European car manufacturers used to specify glycerin in factory maintenance books, BMW even provided it's own formula.

I use it on tires as well because it leaves no slick shiny finish. To rejuvenate old weather seals or rubber parts of any kind (like lighting gaskets), coat and place in a plastic bag for a few weeks. You'll be surprised with the results.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I have seen old rubber from forrest find VW's taken back to life with glycerin, but never thought about it on tires. Great tip, I will try that Bullethead. I don't like the too shiny look or the shiny layer, just clean and fresh is nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    I don't like silicone in my shop as we paint from time to time and silicone is the enemy of paint.
    Yes, and that it moves from hand to tool to the next tool to the next car to the next ...
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

Seconded on Gummi Pflege.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474