Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1968 911L Sportomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Thanks Dennis, but I think he's already had his transmission rebuilt.
    David, I assume you're aware of Carquip in Boulder, an excellent local source for older Porsches.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    Hi Jon, yep that is where I have taken it for everything so far. Chris still does all of the work but he is now a separate entity from Tom and Carquip. I've been very happy with everything he has done for me and the car. Dennis, Chris rebuilt my transmission and then had a second sporto come in for the same repair immediately after mine. And mine has worked great since he rebuilt it.

Quote Originally Posted by eprnjp View Post
    Great looking car, are the fuchs original 15x5.5 ?
    eprnjp I am 99% sure they are original to the car. Aside from the paint and then other normal wear items, the car is very stock. I'm trying to think what else has been replaced but to my eye very little. I am going to post a pic of the ac unit to get feedback on where it came from. It doesn't currently work but depending on what people say (and what the COA comes back with) I will decide what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    I noticed this car posted on the Bird....and suggested Dave join this group.
    This is a special car given the unique combinations from L to paint to sporto etc.
    I believe he has been shopping for correct parts and shop manuals ....

Welcome David
    71 gold. Thanks for the rec to join here. And yes I have shop manuals arriving next Friday and in the meantime I just received the 65-89 Haynes Repair Manual and Peter Morgan's Original Porsche 911 book. I need to become more literate!

Quote Originally Posted by dweb View Post
    eprnjp I am 99% sure they are original to the car. Aside from the paint and then other normal wear items, the car is very stock. I'm trying to think what else has been replaced but to my eye very little. I am going to post a pic of the ac unit to get feedback on where it came from. It doesn't currently work but depending on what people say (and what the COA comes back with) I will decide what to do with it.
    Here is a pic showing the aforementioned AC unit. Did this come from the factory? Again I know the COA might shed light but I am just getting around to ordering it so am going to wait a month or more to see it! Or could it be a dealer installed option? Or aftermarket altogether? I haven't seen a similar unit in cars I've seen in photos. What do people think I should do with it? I'm in Colorado so have less need for an AC and have no attachment to it really. I did just find a replacement louvre in the passenger door holder still in a bag from the dealer!

This is low on my list of projects but I am curious what light you guys can shed on it. I guess also I should ask about what radio came with the car since you can clearly see that is missing as well. The original was stolen and then the replacement was subsequently stolen as well. My dad gave up on having a radio at that point. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dweb; 01-03-2020 at 07:05 PM.

golden green.
    I gotta tell you...that is probably in the top 3 of the best colors Porsche ever used. and very uncommon.
    I was in Monterey at a lawn show, ...and from a distance, I saw a golden green car, probably a 1969. It looked so good, I thought it was the best out there of 40+ cars.
    it became my color of choice...it is really pretty fantastic.

So when it is time to paint...don't hesitate for a moment to take it back to golden green.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Greetings from another 911L owner in Tangerine Orange (#11805200). Regarding your original radio, both my Kardex and my COA confirmed that my US-delivered 911L came with Blaupunkt Frankfurt US model, and even noted the serial number of the individual unit (which I had rebuilt). Here’s a pic of the dash from 1972 and my COA:

Name:  BCD7352D-F8DD-4593-8128-76FB753B341E.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  BFA9B98F-C221-4683-84D4-4777A5313766.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  40AD3275-3CF2-4EEE-839E-573BAB364F4C.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  116.1 KB

I love hearing the history of family ownership of your car. My history is similar with my uncle having bought the car as the second owner in 1972 until I bought it from him in ‘92, after which I put it in storage for 17 years while we were living in Europe. I’ve been slowly restoring my car over the last 3 years, with the final stage being paint and body work that will wrap up in April. Thanks for sharing your story and please keep us updated on your progress!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Reg #3096
    "Chester" - 1968 911 L, Fully Restored, Numbers Matching, Tangerine Orange on the original 5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs wheels
    "The Beast" - 2010 911 4S Cab, Triple Black, 6 Speed MT, SSK, PSE with Fabspeed Sport Headers and 200-Cell Cats
    "The Truck" - 2019 Cayenne Turbo, Jet Black, Sport Chrono, PSE, Rear Axle Steering & PSCB Brakes (for haulin' stuff... fast)
    ”Blue” - 2023 911 Turbo S Cab, Gentian Blue over Deviated Black Leather with PSE & PCCB’s

Welcome from a fellow 68 owner (although an S). I agree with the comments re golden green. Very rare and very cool. Stick around here to learn a whole lot about a truly unique year of manufacture. I am happy I paused before making any decisions on my car.

Also, you may to invest in a Kardex instead of CoA (or whatever the heck Porsche currently calls it).

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Welcome from a fellow 68 owner (although an S). I agree with the comments re golden green. Very rare and very cool. Stick around here to learn a whole lot about a truly unique year of manufacture. I am happy I paused before making any decisions on my car.

Also, you may to invest in a Kardex instead of CoA (or whatever the heck Porsche currently calls it).

Scott
    How does one go about getting a Kardex? I read a few different threads and it sounds pretty shady or at a minimum a leap of faith when you give up the ~$200. Is the PPS still worth getting? Thanks

Yes, while it may sound shady, it actually was a fine transaction. I had someone here get it it and I think it was $500. at that point. I'll try to find the thread.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by dweb View Post
    The original color is/was 62165, Golden Green.
    David, welcome to the ESR! I had to lookup Golden Green as I was not familiar with it as a Porsche color. I love green! I found my Tangerine 70S only after a Birch Green car I was after sold before seeing the car over the weekend.
    Early 911S Registry #3811
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii