Thread: question about SWB steering wheels

question about SWB steering wheels

I am restoring a SWB steering wheel and would like to know what color of black is on the wheel section and what is on the hub and spokes, It appears to me that the spokes and hub are in satin black and the wheel part is gloss black.

Asking for clarification on this .

Thanks, Rick

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    It's awfully hard to craft a few adjectives to describe colors. I guess you could call the spokes "satin" black or maybe "semi gloss" black. Here are scans of two old brochures that might help you draw a conclusion:

Name:  Okt64_06.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  146.1 KB]
    W221 October 1964 German Language Brochure

Name:  April 65 Page 05_ps1.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  103.2 KB
    W221e April 1965 English Language Brochure

As to the rim, the best I have is a picture from a 912 brochure I downloaded:

Name:  912_Wheel.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  92.3 KB
    W 223 e June 1965 English Language Brochure

I guess it could be called glossy, glossier than the spokes at least. I do know that the rim materiel is hard rubber, aka Ebonite (PET: 902.347.082.01 Steering wheel Hard rubber). In fact, if you Google "ebonite steering wheels" you'll get a bunch of pictures of Porsche 911/912 steering wheels.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks, pretty much what I thought from what was on the wheel originally , I will do the spokes in a satin black and do the wheel in gloss black and see how it turns out

I don’t think any paint was on the rim you may try polishing it first with some 3M scratch remover first. Good paint match for the spokes is Wurth Satin Black. Name:  18E8C1A2-8185-4E03-858C-E04449461EA3.jpeg
Views: 295
Size:  27.8 KBName:  E8D11060-508D-4793-BDD7-4BE3B044332F.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  17.4 KB
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

As Mike stated the Wurth Satin Black is an excellent option (it is self-etching if i remember correctly). Another option SEM trim paint. The texture is thinner.

Yes, I have a couple of Wurth cans at the shop, great stuff but I am looking to do these in an 2 part 2K ( with a hardener in it ) or epoxy paint for durability I have been looking at some of Eastwoods paints , if those won;t work, I may just get some epoxy made up at the local paint store and spray them with a small touch up gun I am going to spray the wheel because I have used a 2 part wheel epoxy filler over it to fill any cracks, down now to sanding it down to 600 grit. I have media blasted the hub and spokes back to bare metal, used glass beads at lower pressure to give it a nice smooth finish

Thanks, Rick

Most, but not all, epoxies are light sensitive, and not color/sheen stable over time because they are typically made to be covered. Your 2 part urethane appropriately flattened will be more durable and color fast. I use SEM Hot Rod Black for the dash because it is catalyzed and durable, but I think the steering wheel spokes are a bit shinier than the dash so perhaps the Wurth Satin Black is the way to go, as pointed out above..