Thread: Hardi fuel pump

Hardi fuel pump

Has anyone replaced the bottom inlet outlet part of an original Hardi pump with a new one?

One of the bolts has threaded on my original pump - the motor works perfectly but the pump won't draw fuel - I think it's because the diaphragm isn't sealed so won't create vacuum.

Any other thoughts appreciated?

Calling all Hardi pump experts ....

I have found the Hardi pumps to be pretty durable and all of the problems usually relate to the diaphragm hardening. Once it gets stiff the pump mechanism is not powerful enough to cause any sort of action. Most folks just think the pump is trash at that point.

I have used the original diaphragm assembly and replace the soft parts. I used Viton material which will hopefully provide more life.

Elsporto, since your pump is working it sounds to me like your fuel line may have gone dry. The pump is not strong enough to pull the fuel up that last leg of the fuel system. Try pressurizing your tank just a tiny bit with the pump going. You might also pull the pump and test it on the bench to see if it draws fluid.

Best regards,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
    I have found the Hardi pumps to be pretty durable and all of the problems usually relate to the diaphragm hardening. Once it gets stiff the pump mechanism is not powerful enough to cause any sort of action. Most folks just think the pump is trash at that point.

I have used the original diaphragm assembly and replace the soft parts. I used Viton material which will hopefully provide more life.

Elsporto, since your pump is working it sounds to me like your fuel line may have gone dry. The pump is not strong enough to pull the fuel up that last leg of the fuel system. Try pressurizing your tank just a tiny bit with the pump going. You might also pull the pump and test it on the bench to see if it draws fluid.

Best regards,

Brad
    Thanks Brad.
    I Should have mentioned I have bench tested it and cannot get it to draw.
    And the diaphragm seems pretty soft ...
    Could it be that the threaded bolt is not sealing around the edges of the diaphragm and therefor no vacuum?
    In which case I need to replace the bottom section or helicoil the thread?
    Cheers,
    Ben.

Just in case anyone is looking for info in the future, and is as clueless as me ...... the pumps need to be gravity fed and bled before they'll draw fuel.

Simple solution that took weeks to figure out. LOL.