Thread: Activating a Wet Battery?

Activating a Wet Battery?

So I purchased 2 new Moll batteries. They are wet batteries shipped dry. When I unboxed them, there where no instructions on what to fill them with, to what level and whether or not they need to be charged. There's a little bit of info out there on line but it does seem to differ based on the maker of the battery. I know I need to get an acid solution from the local auto parts store. Has anyone done this or know the correct procedure for filling and charging?

Thanks

Chris

Worked at a garage many, many moons ago when we use to get dry batteries and had to fill them and charge them up so they could be sold and installed. You do need to get battery fluid solution, it is a sulpheric acid base so it is dangerous. It will burn the skin, smarts like hell I do remember that Wear heavy duty rubber gloves! You have to fill the each chamber , not right to the top but to the " ring " that you can see about 3/4 inch down Once all are filled, the battery has to be put on a slow 24 hr ( about 2 amp ) charge to get the battery back up This should be done in a very well ventilated area as the acid puts off fumes Leave the chambers open while charging Have seen closed batteries charged too fast explode

Not sure what a Moll battery is, I am talking about a battery that you buy at any auto shop.

Thanks, Rick

That's Rick. Moll is the battery with the Porsche name on it.

When charging, do not place battery anywhere near concrete. When storing a battery, the same applies, but if you have little choice then, at least seal in a plastic bag. Sulphuric acid is a gas dissolved in water. The gas can be vented from the battery, and will neutralize if in contact with concrete. Use safety eyewear as well, the acid can cause severe burns.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Yes, it is the lime in the concrete You can get away from this by using a couple of 2 X 4's laid down on the cement first. Try putting a fully charged battery on cement / concrete and see how fast it goes flat and a real bugger to try and recharge.

I had no idea! Thanks.

Does the same apply to AGM batteries?

The AGM battery is much less susceptible to acid loss that way. They are usually sealed, but have a safety vent.
    Regarding the concrete, 2x4 may help, but better to use a battery box. You want to create a stable environment where the gas is in a stable equilibrium inside and outside the battery. A battery box is not as sealed as a plastic bag, so good for storage when not being charged. A battery box would be suitable for charging.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I went down this road.....Not happy with the result. Some was my own fault

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=Moll
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by chris belyea View Post
    That's Rick. Moll is the battery with the Porsche name on it.
    Where are you located? I have a single Porsche battery (newly installed last feb) that I’m going to be swapping out in case you’re interested (assuming you’re able to return the empty battery you purchased). Might save you some trouble of filling and charging one of them.

Nothing wrong with it at all, but I’m switching to a lithium battery.
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7