Thread: Bosch starter battery factory fit?

Bosch starter battery factory fit?

Bosch provided all kinds of parts to the factory for early 911 but were they a supplier of starter batteries to factory pre 74 . Discussion elsewhere of Deta which was used to illustrate the 73 driver's manual and other brand come up too Varta Moll etc

Reason I ask is in my maroon glovebox pouch among papers and books that came with car on early 90s there is a multi language booklet from Bosch. Just simple folded papers small in size and iirc maintenance advice. Not really looked in detail just recal it is in there

Being there and dating from early 70s suggests it might have been there from new; if so that suggests Bosch might've been factory fit but I haven't had car from new. Might have been put there when batteries changed but age suggests it is more consistent with early 70s rather than a mid 70s battery change assuming the factory originals lasted 2-3 years on a 72 built car.

Never thought much about it but discussion of Deta elsewhere raised the question in my mind was Bosch an OEM factory fit starter battery supplier among its many other OEM products (or not) for pre 74?

Bosch priduct catalogues and publications i gave show a battery for 911 in that era of course and their batteries appear in Christaphorus adverts too around 73 but those things don't prove that it was original factory fit. I'm sure they battled for aftermarket replacement share either way.

What do folks know that is backed by some form of evidence ?

Steve

Name:  IMG_20200124_172637.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  77.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200124_172647.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  39.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200124_172723.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  68.0 KB

This is the item I found in the maroon document folder clearly a genuine period item early 70s. Operating instructions for Bosch batteries

Envelope with booklet inside

Same three page content in four languages about the size of a passport.

And separately a period Porsche catalogue that gives the part numbers for the early Porsche
    Name:  IMG_20200121_181644.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  70.2 KB
    Also shows the batteries as were delivered in kits necessitating the instructions on how to fill and commission new batteries

Rather surprised the ESR collective brains trust don't have information on the question: were Bosch OEM suppliers of factory fit starter-batteries in the longhood era... or not?

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-24-2020 at 09:30 AM.