Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: front fender oil cooler + components

WTB: front fender oil cooler + components

Guys
    Looking to put together front fender oil cooler setup.
    This is for 71 .
    So am after various single items needed, cooler, hard lines , cooler shroud,
    Thermostat etc. only coolers that have been tested and certified .
    Let me know what you have .
    Thanks
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    Guys
    Looking to put together front fender oil cooler setup.
    This is for 71 .
    So am after various single items needed, cooler, hard lines , cooler shroud,
    Thermostat etc. only coolers that have been tested and certified .
    Let me know what you have .
    Thanks
    Frank
    Frank

Assembling a complete 71 oil cooler assembly will be hideously expensive, time consuming and a very invasive installation. There are many other/ better options if you want a external oil cooler.

Jim

Jim & others ...
    Interested in opinions
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

Just look at a 71 911S and study the oil cooler. I'm pretty sure I know what your thoughts would be.

Ciao

Jim
    PS: I once traded a 71 911S thermostat and oil tank fittings and engine compartment lines to Mike Brunetto (owner of RD Skis) for a pair of custom made skis. It was a very good deal for both of us at the time. Now, not so much.

Cooler

I have studies the parts/ diagrams in my parts book.
    Also know there is a setup from Elephant racing for around $3k.
    Also just missed an original cooler restored and certified by Pacific Oil Cooler Service for $600.
    Looks like the hard pipes are same as 74-77 new from Porsche just under $1k for both .
    Good used thermostat are not cheap either , but think all can be done in the $2500- $3,000 range.
    Mocal also has some items .....

Interested in others who have done similar
    Thanks
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    I have studies the parts/ diagrams in my parts book.
    Also know there is a setup from Elephant racing for around $3k.
    Also just missed an original cooler restored and certified by Pacific Oil Cooler Service for $600.
    Looks like the hard pipes are same as 74-77 new from Porsche just under $1k for both .
    Good used thermostat are not cheap either , but think all can be done in the $2500- $3,000 range.
    Mocal also has some items .....

Interested in others who have done similar
    Thanks
    Frank
    Frank

A 71 911S oil cooler set up has no parts whatsoever that will interchange with anything later. The lines go through the body (proved to be not such a good idea) and all the related parts are extremely hard to find. The Elephant Racing unit is great and designed to be added later. The 71 911S oil cooler was laid out at the factory and then they built the car around it. Good luck finding all the components in good shape for your price point.

Jim

Jim

My 71 is not an S and I would not cut hard-lines thru body as per S ..I have a 70 S sitting right next to the 71 so am totally familiar with the components thru body and all related fittings etc.
    I am not routing per optimal S but if I can get cooler , thermostat shroud etc . I can make the rest work .
    Elephants kit is $3k for 71 but obviously not thru body and does utilize later model components which is fine ....
    Anyway ....just asking for other options/ opinions and any original items that maybe available .
    Thanks for interest
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

Frank

Now I get it. You want a remote oil cooler that will keep your car/motor happy in most conditions.
    My suggestion would be a bone stock 911SC trombone oil cooler system removed, complete, from a car that is local to you. Shipping 911 oil cooler lines is a very expensive pain in the hind quarters. It is my experience after selling hundreds of these systems is that they work very well in almost all situations. Adding a "Carrera" cooler or any after market "upgrade" will only result in very slight reductions in oil temps already gained by the addition of the SC system. Bottom line is that the base SC cooler system results in significant reductions in temps and anything more is just marginally better. I do have to admit that my own car has a bone stock "Carrera" cooler removed from a 86 Carrera. I have been very happy with it except when it has been exposed to high ambient temps while being flogged on race tracks in the California Central Valley and the Southern Cal Desert. I have gained significant reductions in oil temps by having custom made air ducting done by a long time restorer of 917s and 908s, though. The difference is shocking! The magic actually happens behind the bumper, between the slots and the cooler. I do have to admit that I exceeded your budget by a wide margin, though

Regards

Jim
    47 year owner of a lowly 71 911T (Slightly modified)
    RGruppe # 038
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks again....your info is very helpful.
    Seems you have a great solution and I need to be open to this Carrera solution.
    I won’t be racing but the 2.5 engine will need more cooling.
    Love the look of your bumper am sure that’s a major benefit
    Regards
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

Thanks for posting this, Jim. Good to know that a trombone cooler is a reasonable option. My '84 Carrera had one, it kept the 3.2 within acceptable temps even with A/C running in 110°F heat in central Cal.

In my case, the concern will be than my early '72T is a factory A/C car that did not come with a secondary cooler. The A/C was in boxes last summer, so there was no need for additional cooling. But at some point I will reinstall the A/C, and I suspect I will probably want a cooler then. Of course, being a '72 complicates things considerably. I'll be looking for a '72S oil filter console at some point, I'm sure.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic