Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: front fender oil cooler + components

Just one more thing. Chuck's (Elephant Racing) ribbed cooling lines are a bit of genius! Most of the cooling in a fender mounted cooler actually happens in the lines (totally unscientific observation by a non engineer). Elephant Racing's lines really do work.

Regards

Jim

Banned
    Frank
    I have a complete factory setup including the lines and cooler.
    Thanks

Jim sure knows how to make a brown car look nice.

Way back when, jashford and myself ran external lines on a '71-S. As Jim noted, though the body wasn't a great idea.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I'm a fan of the trombone cooler also. As one who always wants to try something different I took two coolers and made a 3 looper. Now I'm about to use Chucks crossover lines and add a 3 looper on the drivers side. Why bother? I've never seen one before. That's a good enough reason to motivate me to make it. It keeps my brain cells working. On 100 plus degree days, humidity in single digits to teens, and 20% less oxygen, here in Colorado 2 might be better than one.
    I'll post if it makes a difference. Oh and behind the bumper on another car I'm working on with duel Carrera coolers. Here a a couple of pictures.

I had a Carrera cooler on the car before. As Jim pointed out the oil temps are very close for both. I just think the trombone seems more in keeping with a 67.
    It's also easier to get to the SWB bumper brackets, J tube and wiring as I can slip my hand between the tubes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 02-12-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

....nice work.

Roy Smalley
    Roy Smalley
    member 877

Slick AND clever. Thinking outside the box!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

HI! I have 3 trombone coolers in good shape that are slightly different. I also have some lines and I believe a inline thermostat. They started using the trombone style right front wheel well type coolers on the 1973 S and continued through 1983 on 911's and on 911 Turbo's through 1978. If its not a track car it will do the job and be less expensive. Let me know if you have any questions and would like pictures. Jim m71911@aol.com

It was an option on the 911-S in 1973. Cost $155 more than Recaro Sport Seats. How times have changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Guys ,thanks for posts....enjoying the discussion and ideas.
    Still have not finalized which approach.
    The 3 loop is very interesting, have you tested yet ?

Jim will send you an email ...interested in photos.

Regards
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Just one more thing. Chuck's (Elephant Racing) ribbed cooling lines are a bit of genius! Most of the cooling in a fender mounted cooler actually happens in the lines (totally unscientific observation by a non engineer). Elephant Racing's lines really do work.

Regards

Jim

This is true. Cooling is proportional to the surface area. And the more of that surface area that is in the airstream, the better. So oil lines that run outside the body (like by '73S) have a lot of surface area and are well cooled even though the trombone is tucked away in the wheel well. This is also why the ribbed lines Elephant makes work so well. What you put on the ends of those lines doesn't matter so much unless you ventilate that well as in the bumper cutouts pictured earlier.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK