Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: 1973 911T motor with matching 915 transaxle (SoCal, Aliso Viejo)

Thumbs up

@gruen911 - that would be correct if it was due to cylinder issues and heads that needed a complete rebuild/replacement. Based on their tests and inspection it just needs a valve adjustment, test was also done cold. Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    Kami,
    Maybe I am not reading these numbers correctly, but the leak down numbers are awful. A freshly rebuilt engine will normally have 2-3% leak down numbers. A good engine should have all cylinders below 12% or so. 20% is borderline. Your #5 and #6 cylinders 55% and 63%! The motor is unusable as is, and likely needs a full rebuild. In view of this, your ask price of $20k is very unrealistic for an engine that will need another $10-15k thrown at it to make it usable. Just as a reality check, plug and play 2.2S and 2.4S motors with complete MFI set-up can be had for mid $20's...
    @ savagejayj - thanks for the Bump!
    912 registry # 3137

Garage:
    1969 912 (project) (follow on Instagram @912r69)
    2010 Tacoma (got to get the parts with something)
    2017 Toyota NX200 (the wife’s car)

[QUOTE=Kami9a;1054344]@gruen911 - that would be correct if it was due to cylinder issues and heads that needed a complete rebuild/replacement. Based on their tests and inspection it just needs a valve adjustment, test was also done cold. Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions.

may be simpler to complete the repair and then re-underwrite the readings, etc

if you think it's worth 20K, but the market says otherwise, I don't think you are going to win that battle on the status quo

just my 2 cents
    Member#: 3654

69S coupe (metallic silver)
    70E coupe (metallic green)
    71 911S HWT (Euro, Tangerine)
    67 912 SWT (black over red)

Sundry: 65 Honda S600 Coupe (project, but with motor that redlines at 9500)

Kami, If the leak down numbers were in the 20% range, then maybe you could improve the results 5-10. But you are talking about more than 55% leak down loss on 2 cylinders. That's not something that a cold test and/or a valve adjustment ist going to correct. Since the engine is out of the car now anyway, buy a few valve cover gaskets and adjust the valves. It's a 1-2 hour job. Then do another leak down test. But don't expect a dramatic improvement -your engine clearly needs to be rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami9a View Post
    @gruen911 - that would be correct if it was due to cylinder issues and heads that needed a complete rebuild/replacement. Based on their tests and inspection it just needs a valve adjustment, test was also done cold. Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions.

@ savagejayj - thanks for the Bump!
    Last edited by gruen911; 04-06-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks!

@gruen911 now that I’m out of work I might have to do that, crazy how this corona virus is derailing all of our lives...

@jhartmann66 I can’t argue with that, I was just quoted much larger numbers when I was looking for the motor and now that I’m selling it the numbers are much lower... guess this is typical for things I buy, lol.

Hope everyone is healthy and getting though this.
    912 registry # 3137

Garage:
    1969 912 (project) (follow on Instagram @912r69)
    2010 Tacoma (got to get the parts with something)
    2017 Toyota NX200 (the wife’s car)