Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question Solex cams

I have a pair of cams with part numbers that indicate center-lube, but there are no oil (holes) gallies. On the end is stamped Norris 312SRA. Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John912 View Post
    I have a pair of cams with part numbers that indicate center-lube, but there are no oil (holes) gallies. On the end is stamped Norris 312SRA. Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks!
    Is it possible a camshaft shop welded some metal over the lobes then ground them down to a desired contour? That would seal the holes in the backs of the lobes if they weren't re-drilled.

How deep does the central oil gallery go?
    Last edited by NeunElf; 11-23-2020 at 05:10 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

My guess is that they were just later non centerlube cams. The casting would be the same, just not drilled for the central oiling. Norris was a cam grinder back in the seventies, his cams were popular with the 356 E/Prod. racers.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes I have the same Cams that I replaced in my 68L with S cams , same number but No# but no holes not too sure what to do with them , stored in the garage
    Name:  IMG_0689.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  120.5 KBName:  IMG_0692.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  110.5 KB
    Last edited by woznot; 11-24-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Yes I have the same Cams that I replaced in my 68L with S cams , same number but No# but no holes not too sure what to do with them , stored in the garage

That makes two of us!

Thanks for info Ed, looks like Norris is out of business and the only charts I could find are for VW and 356
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

What is the advantage of centerlube cams and can they only be used with the centerlube engines? Is the lift and profile an advantage to early 2.0 engines. Or can they be retro-fitted to spraybar engines...if of course drilled.
    registry# 1283

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    What is the advantage of centerlube cams and can they only be used with the centerlube engines? Is the lift and profile an advantage to early 2.0 engines. Or can they be retro-fitted to spraybar engines...if of course drilled.
    Center lube cams can be used in spray bar towers (housings),it’s just that the holes are not used.
    The holes are there to lube the “bearings”. Apparently (Porsche got away from that after 903070) was it not needed.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Center-lubricated cams are supposed to give better lubrication at high engine speeds while the spray bar is better at low (street) engine speeds. People building race engines love them.

You need cam chain hosing covers which have the correct oil lines. You also need the "axla" seal to contact the inlet end of the camshaft. I didn't look up "axla" so that may be the wrong spelling.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

center-lube vs spray bar

What are the correct part numbers for the center lube and spray bar towers and covers?
    registry# 1283

What are the correct part numbers for the center lube and spray bar towers and covers?
    If you're embarking on a major engine building project you should invest in the free parts catalogs (you can just google "Porsche Classic parts catalog").

It looks like:

• Left: 901 105 063 01 Lid Chain case Complete with - SOLEX - Carburettor M >> 090 3069
    • Right: 901 105 064 01 Lid Chain case M >> 090 3069

It's a bit troubling that this mentions Solex carburetors but doesn't mention center-lubricated cams and I'm not sure the changeover was at the same engine. But, the illustrations in the hardcopy parts catalog show the center-lubricated fittings in these covers.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe