Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can no longer access the board on apple devices

Unhappy I can no longer access the board on apple devices

I have been noticing a lot of maintenance activity on the board in the past few days. When that is happening (I Presume) I get a message on my PC that there is no access to the board - which is understandable.

However over the past few days even when I can access the board on my PC I cant on apple devices - IPad, Iphone etc
    I get the message ""Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found"
    Even when I turn the devices off completely to clear them I can initially get back to the home page when the devices are turned back on BUT then when I try to open any other page I get the same message.

Is this something wrong with my devices or is it a more general problem
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I'm on a MacBook Pro as I write this. No issue on my Apple X phone either.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

What OS are you currently running? My devices have all been "upgraded" to iOS13.3.1 in the past couple of days
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

I've got iOS 13.3.1 on my phone also, no issue. On my MacBook Pro (Catalina, 10.15.3) right now.

"Server can not be found" messages are often DNS-related, not the server itself. If DNS (the directory that tells your device where to find the server) is working but the server is down or unavailable, the error is normally something like "the server is not responding".
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

It seems to be an issue with my isp Optusnet.com.au. When I try thru that I get the message. That includes my phone even when not on wifi. However using some one else’s ISP it works on my phone via WIFI connection.
    so somehow it would appear that whatever changes have been made to the site in the past few days have resulted in my ISP refusing to connect to the site.

Also I have just discovered that the only reason that I can connect via the PC is because I also have a VPN to a different ISP on it for work. When that VPN is disconnected I get this meassage

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.early911sregistry.org.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:

Try again later.
    Check your network connection.
    If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to access the Web.
    Last edited by HughH; 02-26-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Bump
    Tech guys I cant access the site at all via my ISP - any device or even on my phone not on wifi. It would appear that since about a week ago Optusnet (my ISP) in Australia can no longer find the early S server. I can only access it using a completely different ISP at a cafe or on my work PC which also uses a completely different ISP

I presume it will be the same for any other Optusnet user in Australia
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

This sounds like a stale DNS server at Optusnet.

By default, your Internet connection will be using a master DNS server within Optusnet. Try applying a personal DNS server. On you Mac open the Network Preferences, select WiFi and click the Advanced button on the lower right, then select DNS in the Advanced panel.

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.56.46 PM.jpg

In this pane, click the + lower left, and add 208.67.222.222 then click OK. When the pane goes away, click Apply. Then try to go to www.early911sregistry.org
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Restoration newbie.
    Hugh, there's something wrong with Optus & Networksolutions. I can't get to any site through my mobile phone (on Optus) registered by networksolutions.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thanks Andy
    yes it seems a much bigger problem than I can fix / influence

also thanks Arne - i tried to do what you suggested but could not find the area to tweak on Ipad or phone and in any case it looks as if it is a more significant problem
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    also thanks Arne - i tried to do what you suggested but could not find the area to tweak on Ipad or phone and in any case it looks as if it is a more significant problem
    Here's how to do it on an iOS device. https://www.howtogeek.com/261701/how...ur-ios-device/

I'm curious as to whether that works. If it does, that would pretty well pin down what the problem is.
    - Arne