Thread: 3,0 Carrera engine sticks at 1000rpm

3,0 Carrera engine sticks at 1000rpm

Still have a problem with an 3,0 Carrera engine.

The engine sticks at 1000rpm, when the tach is connected to the CDI. We changed the tach, connected the tach directly with seperate wires and also changed the CID.

We had the problem before swapped the IDS carbs back to the CIS, so the CIS can´t be the problem.

the car is sitting in the garage for 3 years now and we will start tis weekend getting the probs fixed.

As far as I remember, we also tested several coils, distrubutor caps + rotors in 2018.
    The CIS WUR is overhault,

All tipps to solve this problem are highly appreciated

I have a 3.0 Carrera ... the problems is indeed very weird ... it might be something with the WUR of the CSI but difficult to say.
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

When you say it sticks, do you mean that there is a hesitation as it passes through 1000rpm or that it will not go above? Could it be that the distributor is not advancing, or doing so smoothly?
    I am assuming that if you had the problem with both carburetors and fuel injection, two totally different fuel systems, that the fuel delivery can be eliminated if it is just hesitation. If it is worse than hesitation, then can the fuel pump deliver it's rated output? A clogged screen in the fuel tank, a tank venting problem or a pinched line that prevents fuel from being pumped from the tank; has the tank been removed or serviced recently?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Thank you, Massimo and Dave,

the WUR came from Colin Duncan https://k-jet.biz. Top notch work.

The RPM will not go above 1000. My fist thought was also the distributor or the rotor(spring), but distributer play (vert+horz) is within spec.

The tank wasn´t serviced. We installed new hoses, screens in the tank, new Pieburg pump 91160811003, Fuel accumulator 477209083
    and Filter 91111017600. But I will check the accumulator later.

Okay, so it will start and idle I guess. But using the accelerator does nothing positive? Can you describe starting, idle situation, and throttle response.
    When the car last ran properly, was there any situation you can remember that could have caused a fault? Was it good one day, and unresponsive the next?
    The pedal will actually open the throttle fully? I would be inclined to test the pump ability to provide rated flow. Maybe have the distributor fully serviced.

Engine starts normal and idles smooth. RPM will not increase using the accelerator.
    After using several time the accelerator the next start will be not as good.

I ll defintly have the distributor tested at local Bosch service next weeks.

Maybe an idiotic guess ... is the accelerator cable properly fixed and in place?
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Not so idiotic that I was thinking along those lines. The cable has to be attached to the accelerator pedal on one end, and the throttle on the other; meanwhile the cable housing has to be seated on the tube exiting the tunnel (and the tube has to be fixed to the tunnel wall), and the other end has to be fixed onto a bracket. Right now the whole throttle linkage is suspect from end to end.

Did the rubber accelerator rod coupling break ?