Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camshaft Nut Removal (left side)

Just an fyi, I was able to grind my p203 (the one from pelican) tool as John912 has pictured above. It still didn't fit the wobble nut correctly, as the recess wasn't deep enough, so I ground the inside circumference so it would seat over the wobble nut better. After doing this yesterday, I was able to get both cam shaft nuts off and today I was able to remove the heads. Found a burnt up, broken exhaust valve, oh joy...ha.

Josh

Josh:

For me it wasn't the wobble nut itself preventing a good grip on the left side, it was the recess of the left-side sprocket that the tool needs to fit into and clear the chain to allow a good bite on the nut. It's obvious now from Jon's photo of the genuine tool that Porsche had this figured out whereas the aftermarket company did not. Sorry to hear about the valve
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan911 View Post
    It still didn't fit the wobble nut correctly, as the recess wasn't deep enough, so I ground the inside circumference so it would seat over the wobble nut better.
    The genuine Porsche tool (L) is deeper internally as well.
    People often refer to the SIR version as "the factory tool", but it isn't.

Name:  DSCN1606.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  109.7 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

John and John, I very much appreciate the information and help you've provided. As mentioned earlier, it took some extensive modifying with the grinder to get my SIR tool to work with the wobble nut, but all is well that ends well.

This has been fascinating taking the motor apart and am glad I am doing it myself. Tonight or tomorrow I am gonna split the case and see what I find in there. Pretty soon I will start ordering parts and I hope you guys don't mind more of my rookie questions then, as I am sure I will have a bunch.

Once again, thanks for all your help!!

Josh

Not me, I’m more of a rookie than you are when it comes to the engine side. Fortunately I was mentored by someone who’s had these engines apart and back together more than he could remember
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Here is my offering s. P tool on left ( Has Bill`s Auto scrawled on the side) & Sir tool on right. Bottom photo showing the unusual locaters ? ....cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Cliff; 03-29-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Cam Nut Tools

The two genuine Porsche tools:

P 139 for 41 mm (atf) nuts.
    P 203 for 46 mm (atf) nuts.

Name:  DSCN1634.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  DSCN1637.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1636.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  81.9 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Perhaps my 203 is not authentic after all!
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I’ve been using this non original setup for 40 years. The pictured one is 41mm for racing nuts. Don’t know if the 46mm piece will fit over the wobbly nut but I don’t see why not. G
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gordon, that's probably the tool that Porsche should've made. It would appear to keep both tools aligned.
    Cliff, there's only been one version shown in the factory catalogs since 65, but there might have been a different pre-production tool in 64.

In the end, whatever works well is the important thing, but I think we should still document the original factory and various aftermarket versions.
    As Josh has shown, some of the aftermarket tools don't always fit well in all situations.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA