Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72 T fuel lines

72 T fuel lines

HELP please, my 72 has been banished from the garage! Living in Oregon this is not a good thing. The car stinks to high heaven of gasoline.
    I have replaced every line in the trunk and plugged the two lines going to the missing carbon canister.
    This is a weber car and everything from the tunnel rearward has been checked, no leaks
    I have found wet spots at the holes (vents?) in the tunnel. Definitely gas. Is there a way to determine if the steel lines have been compromised somehow?
    It doesn't appear to be an easy job to pull those and replace.
    I live in a high crime area and don't want my baby exposed to them or the weather.
    any suggestions would be appreciated
    thanks in advance.

Easiest thing to do is connect the two hoses in the frunk together (the ones going to/from the charcoal canister) with a barbed connector, assuming those two lines are OK. Then you need to pressurize one of the two metal lines that come out of the rear tunnel and keep the other one blocked. If you pressurize with air, it should hold at whatever pressure you pump to (say 10 psi - these are not meant to be high pressure). If you can't pressurize with air, then add a 5 ft clear hose to one of those lines, run water through that clear hose until it is coming out the other metal pipe and then block that metal pipe. Mark the level of the water in the clear hose after taping it to the car somewhere high. See if the water level drops and where the water goes. Just blow the lines out with good old lung pressure or a compressor when you are done with this experiment.

Ravi

EDIT: Relevant to the charcoal canister vent lines only. I got distracted by the charcoal canister comment!
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 03-28-2020 at 05:32 AM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

member #1515
    Have you checked the fuel lines at the bottom of the tank?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

You probably know this but as far as I know all the fuel lines in the tunnel are hard metal lines and sect urged in place with no movement ...believe all the connection points are outside the tunnel.
    Checking at fuel tank soft lines to The hard lines at front tunnel is good start .
    Is your fuel pump in front or rear ?
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Often the fuel line in the tunnel is damaged by someone carelessly running a tap or too long of a seat rail bolt into the seat rail mounting holes on the driver side, since that is the side the fuel lines are on. Take out the shifter assembly and see if you can get a better indication of fuel in the tunnel.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Are we talking fuel lines or fuel vapour vent lines here? The charcoal canister may have been a red herring. I assumed the two steel vent lines for the canister. But duh, those wouldn't be leaking fuel. They would give rise to a smell though if damaged.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

forgive me if i don't respond to everyones comment, I will try but I sure do appreciate ALL the help, I'm a fish out of the water here.
    the pump is in the back, yes its the vapor lines that have been addressed.To Eds point I have removed the shift mechanism (needs attention) as well as the rear cover.
    The tunnel is WET with what's smells of gas. I have looked (mirrors) and cannot see anything obvious. To Ravi's point, yes pressurise the line and determine if it is failing. Now what?
    I think the line is failing, where is not a concern since NONE of it is available for repair. the question now seems to be, can I abandon that line and replace with a flexible line. I mean who cares where the line is failing? its not fixable why not replace with aforementioned flex fuel line? As I said I am new to the 911 game. maybe there is a good reason why my idea is full of holes. Pardon the terrible play on words.

My concern is there has been work done in the trunk area related to hoses.
    If there was no work that could have caused damage to the hard lines in the tunnel I am concerned about the trunk connections.
    Leaks can find their way into the tunnel from front or rear along the lines and the source can be more difficult to identify.

Running a new line can be tricky to route.....as well as new holes in end panels with rubber grommets etc.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

Think photos or front and rear lines at tunnel would help
    Thanks
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

front of tunnel and more

Name:  IMG_7919.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  38.1 KBName:  IMG_7923.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  24.6 KBName:  IMG_7922.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  35.3 KBName:  IMG_7921.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  35.8 KBName:  IMG_7918.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  67.4 KBName:  IMG_7920.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  38.2 KB
    Can anyone tell me why there are two lines going into the tunnel and one line going to the carbs? One of the lines exiting the tunnel is capped off.