Thread: Targa A pillar trim install

Targa A pillar trim install

Hi all, I am getting ready to install new A pillar vinyl trim that I got from Lakewell on my 69 Targa. Much of the trim was already removed when I bought this car as a project.
    I was wondering if the vinyl is installed over the metal lip for the windshield or not, a couple of pictures I have seen indicate this. I'm wondering if the windshield seal could be installed properly over the vinyl or not. Also, is the vinyl glued directly on the metal or was there any thin foam applied first?

If any Targa owners have replaced their A-pillar trim, I would appreciate any advice or experiences, and any pictures.

Thanks,
    Mike

Yes the rubber seal installs over the vinyl...
    I do have some pictures will get to shop tomorrow with more info.
    Also you must be careful with the rubber seal as it requires some pressure to get aligned and correct position
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Yes the vinyl is glued over the metal lip which amplifies its adhesion because you will have "pinched" the vinyl over both of the vertical surfaces of the metal upright lip.. Then, as 71gold writes. the rubber seal installs over the vinyl onto the lip. In other words, do not cut the vinyl short of the metal lip. Also, heed 71's advice about all of the gaskets, front, rear, and the sides of the removable top. Dry fit, of course first. Even with the best of care, these cars are prone to wind noise.

Mike
    Here are photos (sorry upside down not sure how to rotate) ....please make sure your seam hits at location on both sides .
    As you can see the vinyl runs down the entire length of channel.
    The rubber weatherstrip must hit at the locations at corner as shown, true both sides ( so make sure to start with a center point and equal both sides. You will need to pull on weather seal to hit proper location. Use a plastic trim tools to tuck all along the front edge for correct fit.
    You can test fit to make sure you have the the idea of how it all fits. Mine has been test fit as shown and not glued at this Point.Name:  1AC498A3-13A8-4509-8305-9A69E85AE0D2.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  121.2 KBName:  E43AE1A4-15E6-4AE0-9832-27608869F672.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  114.7 KBName:  D8D75E0D-C6F2-4C63-9311-03C245863C83.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  112.2 KBName:  9C927C77-8849-4412-B77A-1A8637571DFC.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  108.2 KB
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Thanks 71gold and Jim for the replies and the pictures! They answered most of my questions and will follow your recommendations. However, the underside of the targa bar is not completely solid, there are some hollow sections and when I dry fit the vinyl, you can see where those hollow sections are. I was wondering if you saw those two and how you addressed them, or how the factory addressed them?

I tried replying but for some reason it didn't take, so apologize if this shows up twice.

Mike