Thread: NE Travel Info

NE Travel Info

A friend wants to plan a small tour taking the Delaware River route out of Orange County, NY up to Binghamton. From there, maybe go to Watkins Glen or skip that and head more toward the North East on the way to New England. He would like to know of some nice routes (somewhat scenic, not heavily traveled,) that run up toward the Adirondacks from the Binghamton area... any ideas?
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

17 is great out of Livingston Manner and up the Delaware gap into Binghamton! I always enjoyed 12 up to Utica if you are going to the Adirondacks from the west, but that's going in the wrong direction if you want to go to Watkins Glen.

Also, 30 to 28 from Downsville to 199 to 44 is a phenomenal drive if he is going back to you.

Heck I just drove 183 on Friday night up from Winsted to New Marlborough. That's a fun drive!

Sorry, fishing and driving are principle hobbies...I know a few good lawyers that can help if he gets in trouble around there too.

Just in case, a good resource: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

can't go wrong taking Rt 97, lots of good scenic driving, small towns and great food

https://exploringupstate.com/route-9...-nest-roadway/
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Agree with Ron ... Outside Port Jervis, thru Hawks Nest (like you're in your own car commercial) up Rt 97. Callicoon has nice places to eat ... excellent tapas at Callicoon Wine Merchant. Continue up past Hankins. I would then detour into PA via Kellams River Bridge to hook up with PA 191 (recently paved, and classed as scenic drive, pretty quiet) up to Hancock (Rt 97 in NY moves away from the river after the Eddie's whereas detour into PA is more scenic).
    From Hancock, I would head up to Franklin NY, with excellent food options such as Bea's cafe (with Worlds Greatest Egg Sandwich, formerly from Russells General Store in Bovina NY) or The Tulip & the Rose (excellent middle eastern food, home made falafels etc). Drive to Franklin = from Hancock, through the Cannonsville reservoir, and up to Trouts Creek (also newly paved road) and over a mountain down to Franklin.
    From Franklin you can turn left to Binghamton or right towards Cooperstown and points north on the other side of I-88.
    Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 09.38.02.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  123.1 KB

Or, from Hancock, head East toward NY for 10 miles until you get to East Branch, then take Rt 30 to Downsville ... past Downsille, Rt 30 goes around the Pepacton reservoir, but a quieter road is NYC Rd Number 1, which also goes around the reservoir, but has less traffic ... from there you can head north to Andes, which has some nice spots to eat/drink ...
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Thanks guys this is great information!
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.