Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help designing car storage barn for Porsche’s

Help designing car storage barn for Porsche’s

(If this needs to move to a different forum please do)

What’s the best building material for a car storage barn? Economical and easy?
    I was thinking room enough for 10 cars but could go bigger for various reasons.

Constraints:

1. Security Perhaps it looks agricultural to blend in to community as well)
    2. Fire resistance (as in an area that could get devastating fires)
    3. Natural light inside would be nice.
    4. Relatively inexpensive as I get no pleasure putting money into storage
    5. Easy ingress/egress for cars (a line of single stalls or two deep with doors each side?)
    6. How condition the facility? Moderate climate.
    7. Resale site not too specific. I may not stay in this area for ever so would start economically and see how it works. So resale too.

The materials I have thought about are steel frame or concrete, poured or pre fab.
    Any advantages to which and trade off with looks, security and fire resistance plus cost? Metal frame would fit the area better perhaps. Many horse buildings and farm storage in h the area.

The natural light could be from a clear story along roof if windows aren’t secure.

What type of doors?

Thanks
    Last edited by rower; 03-30-2020 at 12:04 PM.

I'm currently in the design phase of a 100+ car facility and have found the following to be very helpful as a source for ideas.

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Unexp.../dp/0988273330

I'm sure you know Cam, et al.

Yow! Even if planning for 100 cars, here's my 2 cents:

Because it addresses security and fire safety with the added benefit of being a thrifty and fast construction method, consider tilt-wall pre-fab concrete.
    You don't mention how large a footprint is planned, but place water sources every 20 feet, and specify double the electric capacity you think you'll need.

Typically these structures utilize a twin-T concrete roof, but steel truss and poured concrete would allow skylights and/or full length clerestory windows.
    For HVAC, over engineer the system. If you calculate 12 tons, install 20. I use AirSox ductwork which is cheap, durable, and you toss it in the laundry once a year.
    Entry and service doors? Steel. Motorize the bay doors if you have the budget. With security covers properly installed, the only entry is with a key or a plasma cutter.

Security systems with cameras are great, but make the place damn near impossible to get into... we call our little garage Das Bunker.

The variety of LED lighting available encourages creative solutions for both task and display. Too often lighting is under-designed; hire a pro if you need help.
    If you're using an architect, still familiarize yourself with the materials, language, and maybe even learn some CAD software to provide them firm direction.

Too often, architects have their own vision and it may not mesh with yours.

Finally, if planning a lounge/man cave/entertainment space, include a full bath with shower... you'll be glad you spent the little extra, and your wife will appreciate it.

Name:  20190830_140551.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  113.8 KB
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Nice looking bunker!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post

Name:  20190830_140551.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  113.8 KB
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    I'm currently in the design phase of a 100+ car facility and have found the following to be very helpful as a source for ideas.

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Unexp.../dp/0988273330

I'm sure you know Cam, et al.
    I’ll go back through that book. They suffered a loss with the gas explosion which is a real shame. What a great Porsche collection. It was a period car dealership. I saw carpak was auctioning off a few of their injured cars. They must be devastated by the loss. I’ve only met them a few times so don’t know them.

100 is far too many for me. Not sure what I’d do with all those! I try to keep cars at a few locations on both coasts so I can drive different places. Except for a fj40 in Boulder CO!

Edit: read the book. I had skipped the early parts before to see the collection. Some pearls of wisdom on collecting.
    Last edited by rower; 03-31-2020 at 12:49 AM.

Understood... my space was a machine shop originally so we didn't have the option of makin' it pretty inside. On the bright side, there was a TON of electric already in place.

I see your friend's space features fabric AC ducts running through lovely barn beams. Beautiful. There's no reason you can't install a traditional roof structure on prefab concrete. Standing seam tin is nice. Best of both worlds!
    As far as blending into a rural area, tilt-wall is usually pretty brutalist but with a barn style roof? Paint it red or green and have someone re-create the "Mail Pouch" tobacco ad on the side. It doesn't have to look industrial.

Back to bay doors... drive through is nice if the floorplan allows it, and it's budget friendly. It's worth inking an accurate layout with scale cardboard cutouts of your car collection to see how things might fit and flow.

One last shot, the inspiring exterior of Das Bunker:

Name:  Img29370072.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  63.0 KB

Definitely won't blend into the countryside.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I deleted the photo as I decided I should ask him first! I don’t expect to do something that nice but I love the feel of it. I keep a few cars there.

Can you insert steel frame windows in the concrete structure?

What’s the relative cost of concrete versus steel frame? Cost per square foot?
    Last edited by rower; 03-30-2020 at 06:22 PM.

I have a solution! You can buy my house an 1850replica house built in 1997 on 4.25 acres in NW Connecticut 30 miles from Lime Rock Park racetrack. On it is a 3300 sq ft building set back with its own private driveway not visible from the road that has heat, electric, and bathroom facilities.

Joe
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by joegt3cup View Post
    I have a solution! You can buy my house an 1850replica house built in 1997 on 4.25 acres in NW Connecticut 30 miles from Lime Rock Park racetrack. On it is a 3300 sq ft building set back with its own private driveway not visible from the road that has heat, electric, and bathroom facilities.

Joe
    Very tempting, joe. Send pix
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Quote Originally Posted by joegt3cup View Post

Joe
    Wrong coast for this project but I do have car storage in NH and am quite often in Western MA

CT has good vintage car tax and registration policies.

You are close to good fly fishing too I think?

If you ever want to lease out the storage let me know!
    Last edited by rower; 03-31-2020 at 12:34 PM.