And would add a photo now and then.
    Here are some.
    Name:  E9B222B3-6968-4420-A6E8-4BA39A0BF929.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  965E73A4-8938-44AF-82A3-A45F677A7B10.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  72.4 KB
    I painted several colors on large magnet sheets.
    That took a year of study.

Name:  E7B10648-5737-49E4-8F69-2E7ACC92592C.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  B8A856A9-80A8-45CE-90D9-290736E59C83.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  61551F1E-F14B-4F94-A595-CC9A56C5B8BF.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  758F6F33-6DD0-49AE-9B53-88C9C08E0017.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  B019A498-8AF4-442F-9D46-04971346616D.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  E65B5DA7-7E0A-452D-83D7-E10CA9E58D58.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  93.2 KB
    Last edited by Scott A; 04-02-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

[QUOTE=NZVW;1054570]Scott, the glovebox badge reads 9116 to me ,, but hey I'm half blind and getting sick of "Groundhog Daying"QUOTE]

I wanted to do some small details, As if I was a designer 50 yrs ago.

The glove box and rear lid have 9116.

The rear lid, I cut up a 912, and turned the 9 upsidedown.
    I machined little puzzle piece grooves in the back to snap them together.

The glove box. I did in CAD. And 3d printed the numbers in steel and brass.

I like that it is a mirror, flip, image...near palindrome. And it is a 6 motor.
    I filled a page of every emblem combination I could make with the factory emblems, if I cut them up and reassembled them.
    The most interesting to me were 999, 901, 911-6.
    Last edited by Scott A; 04-02-2020 at 09:04 PM.

More Than 9

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    . . . I filled a page of every emblem combination I could make with the factory emblems . . . most interesting to me were 999, 901, 911-6 . . .
    Been thinking about this, too

Notice how Porsche just can't seem to get away from '9' in their model numbers? --- 911, 964, 993, 996, usw. At least things were in order, for awhile. Now? --- Porsche goes backwards! . . . 991, 992 . . .

. . . and we know where this is going

Nine, nine, NEIN

Apart from their nameplates --- and maybe four, tires . . . each successive model has less-and-less to do with anything '911'

And with so many 'over-the-top' builds, here, I keep waiting for someone to go past '9'

Time to move on, maybe? --- to, say . . .

...................1011?

(I know, I know, I know --- totally OT . . . but since the topic came up . . .)

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

can you post some close-ups of the emblems? thanks!

[QUOTE=Scott A;1054573]
    Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Scott, the glovebox badge reads 9116 to me ,, but hey I'm half blind and getting sick of "Groundhog Daying"QUOTE]

I wanted to do some small details, As if I was a designer 50 yrs ago.

The glove box and rear lid have 9116.

The rear lid, I cut up a 912, and turned the 9 upsidedown.
    I machined little puzzle piece grooves in the back to snap them together.

The glove box. I did in CAD. And 3d printed the numbers in steel and brass.

I like that it is a mirror, flip, image...near palindrome. And it is a 6 motor.
    I filled a page of every emblem combination I could make with the factory emblems, if I cut them up and reassembled them.
    The most interesting to me were 999, 901, 911-6.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Name:  emb.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  32.9 KB
    the gold was from a 911T the 6 was from an aluminum 912
    i really like using orig parts, not repro. and had to think long and hard about cutting up these orig parts.

Name:  emb2.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  emb3.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  38.0 KB
    showing the puzzle snap together, which I did in CAD first...because i only had one chance to cut it right

Name:  dash2.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  91.9 KB
    the dash one, I did completely in CAD, 3D printed in steel and brass....with the same puzzle grooves on the backside.
    about $30

the targa florio badge...just sitting there, is one of my favorite things...in italy at ferrari and at alfa....they have the larger version of these as the award for winning the race...
    they gave these little badges to the driver's....amazing to me....i found one in northern italy and snatched it up. 1973 was the last official year for the race
    targa = plate (like a platter they give to a sports champion) and florio was the name of the guy who started the first race near 1906-ish
    it is a bunch of horses running with a guy driving a car. wow!

Name:  rADIO2.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  74.7 KB
    the radio faceplate was black plastic, (from 74 i think) but I didnt want to buy a new radio...so I made a new faceplate in CAD, and had it made in steel 3D printed...and then polished
    about $22

Name:  shift.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  83.5 KB
    i didnt have numbers on my shift knob...so i made some in CAD, 3D printed in steel, with a sharp pin post attached...made several and i wear one on my jacket, like a lapel pin. didnt polish.
    about $15

Name:  badges.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  59.9 KB
    i had all the badges on the outside of the car, on the grill and such, but there was just too much going on...so I had the idea to connect them to the leather luggage straps, the idea kept growing...and i made these removable large leather belts.
    leather about $15 (but many hundreds in badges)

the car is themed with LeMans24 decals and badges and even the cibie ball lights, I went to the race, and camped with my brother, when porsche came back, it left a mark on me...
    Last edited by Scott A; 04-03-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Very neat !
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

cool stuff scott...nice seeing your work

Name:  frotn lights.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  86.9 KB
    i tried to be very mindful of the lines and how things were not crooked...so i did many many dry run test fits. (i need to do a tiny tweak on the "linden" horn grill)
    my dad's car, which my brother has, had fogs, that i remember from being a kid.

Name:  zip locks.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  113.9 KB
    i had everything in zip locks, but that was not working, so I bought a bunch of these storage things for the small parts...i had to list things because my memory is going.

Name:  color.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  93.1 KB
    i really like colors, so over the 3 years i searched and searched for color chips on ebay...and when the showed up, i bought them, then I would visit the paint store each week and have minimal samples made for about $15.

Name:  door.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  118.5 KB
    i kept scratching all my loose emblems and badges, then i found a thin door in the garage, punched holes with an ice pick...and kept the badges from getting dinged, the donor 912 on the door for more numbers some day.

Name:  tape.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  54.3 KB
    i had to put yellow tape all over, for numbers and things....I saw this at canepa...and it helped me a lot.....i didnt have to measure things 6 times...because i wrote it down...and the tape helped me remember things that were undone, but critical.
    plus, if i died from a virus...it would give a clue to my wife or kids...what was still needed to be done.

Name:  future.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  85.0 KB
    a sneek peak into a car I have have over 15 yrs...my next in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post

Name:  shift.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  83.5 KB

i didnt have numbers on my shift knob...so i made some in CAD, 3D printed in steel, with a sharp pin post attached...made several and i wear one on my jacket, like a lapel pin. didnt polish.
    about $15
    That's a nifty item... any chance you'd run a few of those off to sell here?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

hello, several has asked if they could buy a pin.
    the short answer is "yes".

i like mine, and would enjoy it for others.
    I am not a store, I'm just a guy, reliving my happy childhood of the 60s and 70s.

the longer answer is:
    my cost is about $15 a piece in steel, bumpy like you see in photo. and about $18 in brass. (then I pay about $7 for shipping)(then we gotta pay for shipping to you)(so your cost could get up to around $30)(a little more for brass)
    i would have to make the pin on the back stronger...(which is easy in steel, unknown in brass)
    so there is some risk to the buyer...as the sharp pin back isn't that strong....not what you are used to with a normal lapel pin, they never seem to break, (and i don't have any of those pinch things)
    these are not high production out of asia...i think they are made in new york, on a printer.
    these are easy to sand on a little bit and make them more shine, and the best way is to just carefully sand each number...but I had other things to do.
    this is all about 2 or 3 weeks, maybe a month plus.
    because they are metal the bumps are larger than 3D plastic.
    and at this time, I have made no other shift pattern....which would take me about an hour per pattern.
    this is not a size that would fit in your shift knob....it was just a random size.
    a high production one would be all smooth and lovely, and probably cheaper.

Name:  pins4.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  68.3 KB

below are other things i have made:

Name:  knobs22.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  156.9 KB
    i made this shift knob, in plastic, it was about $40, i didnt use it, i made the wood one.

Name:  seat lever small.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  23.9 KB
    i made these seat levers, in black plastic...they say there are whale tails for 1971 and dolphin tails...more years? (i had one whale, so I copied it...it didn't snap on perfectly, so i had to glue it on.
    if i grow two together, i only get charged for one...hense the siamese twins.

Name:  luftgekuhlt.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  14.4 KB
    this might have been my first part, which i was making for luft 3 i think....i never made one, i got too busy then.
    this is exact size and font as the sportomatic badge for the rear lid....but no pins, i was just going to use double-stick tape.
    i think my cost was around $35 in brass at the time.

Name:  2five.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  50.1 KB
    i was going to make these steering wheels in black plastic, in a couple of sizes...
    but they said some areas were too thin...and i was busy, so i didnt do the fix....i was going to make a lapel/hat pin...and a bracelet...about the size of a large watch.
    and maybe a grill badge of about 3.5 or 4 inches.
    i made the CAD super accurate to my personal steering wheel.

Name:  150.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  293.0 KB
    i made this "G", i couldn't find a G, so i took a bunch of photos, and a paper rubbing of a G, and made one in brass, with the pins. it was about $30.

Name:  delevery.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  59.1 KB
    i made this factory delivery grill badge of 3.5"...it was for the 356 which was picked up in Stuttgart and driven to Greece. then shipped to USA.
    i thought it would be a nice way to tell people that that was its story, without having to tell them...I didnt like the design, and I still have time to make a new one.
    plus, i asked around here, and it seems at the time it was called "tourist" delivery.
    i made it more hollow and minimal, to keep the cost down. you pay per volume. it was going to cost me about $45.

Name:  atler.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  66.4 KB
    and before the olive 911, i was working on the 356. which i was going to theme with the italy mille miglia, which i attended, and loved.
    so i was gathering and making mille things. So i made this large grill badge in brass and the smaller lapel pin, given to drivers in the day...
    i made this one with the screw back and even added the initials engraved in the pin and name on the badge.

Name:  two heuers.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  111.3 KB
    and my last for now....my complete waste of time.
    i made this skeleton Heuer. in steel, it works, it has all the innerds including chrono, and a glass back. the little parts cost me about $50.

it is very 3D and hollow and see-thru and architectural....i did it in silver so it wouldn't scratch...also the originals were silver.
    black plastic would be cool, with a black face. but i don't wear black, and i was trying to go off the original from 1969-ish.

i wish i had a real one from the 70s, but the price, and i don't like how they made new pushers on the new ones...so I made my own.
    the crown, i think it is called, it intended to be pushed all the way in....I just didn't file the clearance yet...that would have wasted even more of my time.
    Last edited by Scott A; 04-03-2020 at 06:58 PM.