Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuchs description

Fuchs description

I have.a set of 4 Fuchs wheels I would like to sell, but I want to be sure I have an accurate description of what they are so I can represent them faithfully. All are "matched," sharing exactly these details. Part numbers 911 361 020 with 10 in a box, under that AS10.62, under that, 0.28139 - 3. Offset from outside of inboard rim to contact surface of frame 10". Three digit stamping on web 577. No hearts. All original "no holes" center caps. I think these are "flat sixes" They are structurally excellent, no curb rash other than a tiny nick or two on 1 rim, but they do need cosmetic refinishing. I have read the descriptions and details about these wheels in various places on this forum, but I cannot match what has been written to these particular wheels. Were these really produced as late as 1977? Please, what do I have here, and any idea of value?

The part number ending in '10' indicates flat-sixes made after mid-73. They were used through the '77 model year. Your no-holes center caps will have a round plate on the back side with a protruding ring that press-fits into the center hole of the wheel. Later ring-type caps will have 2 small holes. The center hole will be 70mm in diameter. So these wheels are correct for '74-77 model year cars. There will be a date code stamped on the web between two of the lug holes, similar to the one shown below.

There is also an earlier version of the flat-six wheels, part number ends in '00', center hole is 66mm and takes a different no-holes cap that has 3 prongs to snap into the wheel. These were used from early '71 through the end of the '73 model year.

- Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Arne, thank you for responding to my message. The "date" stamping, as I wrote above is 577, so I guess this makes the wheels manufactured very late -- May 1977. The center hole is indeed 70mm, but the no-hole center caps do have 3 prongs, which is the only inconsistency with your observation that the 70mm hole should have center caps with a round plate to press in. So these are rightfully called "flat six with no hearts?" The wheels are really in nice shape, but the paint is thin and faded in areas. They look very nice on the car, but I am going back to the chrome wheels the car came with, so I'm looking for some notion of what a fair price might be for these late wheels. Again, thank you.

I've seen a few other no-holes caps with 3 prongs on the later wheels. May have been an interim cap, before the ring style was available. Or maybe someone has just stretched the prongs out to fit the larger hole. I don't know.

Unrestored late flat-six wheels go for $200 to maybe up to $350 each, depending on amount and severity of curb scuffs, tire mounting damage and condition of the anodized finish.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Thanks again Arne.

There are plenty or “ring type” with no holes. The ones with holes are later or replacement caps.

Jim M.,

They’re just “flat sixes”. No such thing that I know of as a flat six with the “heart” so, “without” is a spurious term to describe your wheels. I doubt your caps are original to the wheels. Production of spare parts often results in date codes that don’t seem to line up with the dates associated with a particular MY car production.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

a set of middie 6's. (flat 6s)

Date code 9 month 1975.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Thanks for the responses; I'm learning.

The correct description, like said before.
    5/77 late flat sixes in ----- condition with 3 prong caps adjusted to fit.
    Take lots of pictures...I agree with the previous quote, 250-350.
    BTW, I would not sell them for the Chrome wheels. If they are original, I would keep them.
    If not, then sell them. JMHO