Thread: 67S - Front Section Finish - Summary

67S - Front Section Finish - Summary

Within a few weeks, I would like to start the restoration of the front section parts as part of a full nut and bolt restoration of a 67S. It was one of the first ones finished in September 1966.

I would like to obtain exactly the state as it left the factory. Before I start cleaning, blasting, plating, painting... I would like to have the correct specifications ready.

I have been screening this board, several books, brochures, factory pictures, pictures of so-called original cars etc. It is very hard to come to clear conclusions. I know that 1967 is a transition year on its own.

I hope some of you shime in to have a look at a summary I prepared. I will update if needed.

Please let me know in case you have the same or a different view.

All comments are very welcome. If you make a comment, please refer to your source if possible. I would like to stick to facts as much as possible. By doing so, we are documenting very valuable knowledge and experience for the future, which might result in better restorations!

As the attached picture might be compressed too much, I also added a PDF.

Name:  911 67S - Front Section Finish.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  100.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TailHappyTorquelessWonder; 04-08-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Thank you for more than 100 views so far .

You may also comment about one or a few parts only...

I'd rather receive comments now than when I show the finished car lateron...

May the ones that usually comment, spread their knowledge now....

Quote Originally Posted by TailHappyTorquelessWonder View Post
    Within a few weeks, I would like to start the restoration of the front section parts as part of a full nut and bolt restoration of a 67S. It was one of the first ones finished in September 1966.

I would like to obtain exactly the state as it left the factory. Before I start cleaning, blasting, plating, painting... I would like to have the correct specifications ready.

I have been screening this board, several books, brochures, factory pictures, pictures of so-called original cars etc. It is very hard to come to clear conclusions. I know that 1967 is a transition year on its own.

I hope some of you shime in to have a look at a summary I prepared. I will update if needed.

Please let me know in case you have the same or a different view.

All comments are very welcome. If you make a comment, please refer to your source if possible. I would like to stick to facts as much as possible. By doing so, we are documenting very valuable knowledge and experience for the future, which might result in better restorations!

As the attached picture might be compressed too much, I also added a PDF.

Name:  911 67S - Front Section Finish.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  100.1 KB
    "Koni Orange" on early cars (both my '67S and "69T with factory installed Konis) was NOT the bright "Chevy" orange. It was a brown-ish darker red, very similar to red oxide primer.

On my '67S, 306572, Oct '66 production, most all the fasteners were yellow zinc with a couple exceptions: #21 on your suspension, the support for the cross member, was silver zinc with yellow nuts, #33 on the brakes, caliper bolts were black, either Parkerized or black oxide.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    "Koni Orange" on early cars (both my '67S and "69T with factory installed Konis) was NOT the bright "Chevy" orange. It was a brown-ish darker red, very similar to red oxide primer.

On my '67S, 306572, Oct '66 production, most all the fasteners were yellow zinc with a couple exceptions: #21 on your suspension, the support for the cross member, was silver zinc with yellow nuts, #33 on the brakes, caliper bolts were black, either Parkerized or black oxide.
    Thanks a lot smedley!

During my analysis, I also read your post of June 2018 with the 1965 stamped Koni struts. I wasn't sure when the cut-off was made with the more bright orange. I first thought before model 1967 as I came across various "reputated" restorations where the bright orange was used. But apparently the cut-off is after 1969. The front struts of my car have been repainted in the past in body colour. I wil check whether I can find the brown-ish red underneath.

I had put the red oxide primer+ clear combination (or the RVI chassis rouge 130 from moito) next to the SWB heater valves and the Webasto so far (I will publish my preparation for the other sections soon). I can still see the colour on the heater valves and on the Webasto on my car.

On a factory black/white picture, I noted that the cross member supports were light/plated, but was not sure whether it was yellow or silver zinc.

BTW, my car is in the lower "305" series.

Thanks a lot smedley!

During my analysis, I also read your post of June 2018 with the 1965 stamped Koni struts. I wasn't sure when the cut-off was made with the more bright orange. I first thought before model 1967 as I came across various "reputated" restorations where the bright orange was used. But apparently the cut-off is after 1969. The front struts of my car have been repainted in the past in body colour. I wil check whether I can find the brown-ish red underneath.

I had put the red oxide primer+ clear combination (or the RVI chassis rouge 130 from moito) next to the SWB heater valves and the Webasto so far (I will publish my preparation for the other sections soon). I can still see the colour on the heater valves and on the Webasto on my car.

On a factory black/white picture, I noted that the cross member supports were light/plated, but was not sure whether it was yellow or silver zinc.

BTW, my car is in the lower "305" series.
    Yes! Heater valves and Webasto. I did a color match from one of my original shocks, but I've seen the red primer/gloss trick, and it's VERY close.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

I did a color match from one of my original shocks,...
    Do you have a reproducible colour formula or reference you can share?

Do you have a reproducible colour formula or reference you can share?
    Alas! That mix was 18-20 years old! I used the last of it on my '67S project about five years ago. I doubt the paint shop keeps mixes that long!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

Alas! That mix was 18-20 years old! I used the last of it on my '67S project about five years ago. I doubt the paint shop keeps mixes that long!
    Ok. For the time being I will note RAL 3016 Coral Red as close. (took this from a remark by Moito)

Another reason why I initially thought it was already bright orange for 67S, was this picture I found of 67S struts.
    This is also why I assumed the fitting around the banjo bolt is silver zinc.

Name:  IMG_0374.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  187.7 KB

30 , 40 and 42 in the steering group are not yellow zinc , they are grey or black phosphate . Zinc plating can cause hydrogen embrittlement , Porsche did not zinc plate important , safety related parts .

That’s some detail ! Post #9
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.