Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB or LWB

SWB or LWB

new member here,

I purchased a 1968 911, the vin number falls into an L model (luxury ??) the car has been updated since and I'm trying to backdate it. I came across someone selling fenders and brought to my attention that a 1968 911 can be a Short wheel base car and some where Long wheel base cars. I don't know enough to agree or disagree. so was this a transition period to LWB cars? is that true, and if so, how can I determine this?

thanks in advance

rex

All 1968 model year 911's are SWB cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    All 1968 model year 911's are SWB cars.
    that's what I figured, just wanted to confirm. thank you

LWB cars did start manufacture around Aug 1968, start of 69 my (B series).
    Different fenders from then on.
    S Registry#2021

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    Let's not confuse the issue for our new friend. He has a 1968 911L. All 1968 model year 911's are SWB cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Yes, my liege.....
    lol. I wish.

‘68 does have a unique fender though.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    That explained the fender seller’s remark for our new friend. The fender seller referred to the 1968 calendar year in which model year 1968 ended and model year 1969 started (in August).

Of course a car with a model 1968 vin was always SWB. There are a lot of specific differences between 1968 and 1967 and... model years and even during the years. Your car was for the US market with e.g. the specific blinkers on the fenders... and quite some S stuff on it (e.g.deco trim). But hey, that makes it pleasant, challenging...if you want to do it right.

Don’t mind to ask. A lot of knowledge and experience on this board. Welcome!
    Last edited by TailHappyTorquelessWonder; 04-09-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Greetings Rex,

Do you mind sharing more info about your car ?

There are few 911L (one year production only and such a great motorsport history) owners here .
    Please share your project with that brillant community, and will be more than happy to help as much as our knowledge can.

To reinforce, 911L are all SWBs, 1968.

Cheers
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    That started in 1967!
    ‘67 didn’t have sugar scoop mounts or the tapered inner lip. Pretty sure ‘66 and ‘67 are the same. Am I incorrect?
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.