Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Metallic 1973 911S Re-paint

Silver Metallic 1973 911S Re-paint

First of all, I hope everyone who participates on this forum (including families) is healthy and staying safe during this unprecedented time we find ourselves navigating through. Due to the new WFH mandate I have a bit more time to work on car projects and also goof off on the internet. As such, I thought I’d post on a major effort currently underway on my silver metallic 73 911S (#9113300964). As many of you may be aware, I went through a 4 year (2013-2017) ground up build of my tangerine 72 S/T build but I never posted a build thread which several encouraged me to do. At the time, I flat out just did not have the time to add a build thread for that project. So, with that in mind and more time on my hands, I’ll start this thread to chronical the repaint of my 73S.

Quick background; I bought this car 15 years ago from Yves Junne, a former executive at Motul Oil and avid vintage racer in Paris, France. The car was originally delivered to Sonauto Motors in April 73 and was restored by the PO to Yves at Sonauto in 1987/88. A bare metal re-paint, new interior and the installation of a real replacement RS motor (6630993) were performed. [The motor came from RS #1009 which had burned in a fire. The charred chassis is still currently owned by a member of this forum]. The motor was returned to the factory, rebuilt and eventually supplied by the parts department of Sonauto. The paint has held up very well, but 33 years later there are some small rust concerns that we all know don’t get better if left unattended.

In February, I commissioned Scott Longballa and his small team to do the work. Not only is Scott my good friend, he also did the extensive metal work, paint, suspension and steering on my S/T. Scott is a fanatic for detail and is also a great communicator which helps when I’m in San Diego and he and the car are in Corvallis, Oregon.

Here’s the car before I sent it to Scott. The known issues that led to this were the advancing rust under one headlight bucket, a blister on a lower door panel and some visible rust in/on the seam that runs across the front slam panel. That was plenty good reason to me!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by NickP; 04-23-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

The first task was to remove the doors and window frames, the bumpers, all exterior trim, lights & lenses, etc. and assess the condition of things. All in all, things aren’t too bad. Pictures tell it all:

Name:  IMG_1465.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  104.5 KBName:  IMG_1464.jpg
Views: 2252
Size:  92.2 KBName:  IMG_1456.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  78.6 KBName:  IMG_1460.jpg
Views: 2262
Size:  116.8 KBName:  IMG_1461.jpg
Views: 2245
Size:  101.9 KB
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Hi Nick, I hope you and your's are well. I look forward to following this thread especially after seeing the finished ST project and how well that turned out.

Be well, Dan

Thanks, Dan. I hope we can roam around our local C&C together soon! Best to you as well. Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Hands down one of my favorite cars (and people). Can't wait to see Frenchie's progress Nick. Stay well.

The car looked pretty darn good the last time I saw her, so I can only imagine how amazing it'll be when done! congrats
    Registry #1917
    1971 Condagrun 911T targa
    1974 Indisrot Carrera coupe (US)
    1972 BMW Polaris 3.0 CS

Hope everyone had a nice Easter weekend. My wife and I managed to get my tangerine ST out for a "spirted" drive though some of San Diego's beautiful back country roads on Sunday which was a nice treat after being cooped up all week. Recent rains have left the landscape as green as it gets around here. We enjoyed the green grass, clean roads and crystal blue skies so plenty of miles and smiles to go around. On to the 73S repaint project....

Next, they sanded the paint down to bare metal. One surprise that was revealed was that new rear quarters were installed during the initial restoration in 1987. Never knew that. Looks like they did a nice job.
    Last edited by NickP; 04-13-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Looking forward to this. Gonna be nice!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

A rust neutralizing acid wash was next, followed by the addition of a healthy coat of some PPG DTM high build primer (expensive stuff!) and two round of block sanding starting with 120 then 220 grit. Wet sanding is next up.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

What is the paint code for tangerine in 1968?