Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insider's indeed!

Insider's indeed!

I miss the old ads like this one. Try flashing your headlights at a Cayenne, only to have some housewife glare at you.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Still works here, the older the 911 the better.

Adam, I don't even try with the Cayenne crowd, what is disappointing is when I make an attempt at a newer 911. Most just stare ahead very few actually acknowledge the heritage, I think they can kind of figure out the 71' is related but it seems even fewer recognize the 63'cab. Especially when I come across a GT 2 or 3 it is interesting the percentage that actually recognize the older cars. Maybe it is a CA thing....

Quote Originally Posted by chris anderson View Post
    Adam, I don't even try with the Cayenne crowd, what is disappointing is when I make an attempt at a newer 911. Most just stare ahead very few actually acknowledge the heritage, I think they can kind of figure out the 71' is related but it seems even fewer recognize the 63'cab. Especially when I come across a GT 2 or 3 it is interesting the percentage that actually recognize the older cars. Maybe it is a CA thing....
    I've encountered the same thing, a guy one town over from me had a 996 in the driveway. I pulled up in my 60 Roadster. He looked at me weird and asked
    "Is that a Porsche?"

I badly wanted to tell him that it was far more a Porsche then the mass-produced water cooled car that he was driving was, a car a friend at Porsche said "was designed by accountants". No I just said "yes, it's a Porsche" and headed on my way. But you would think a Porsche guy would be interested in an earlier car, especially a 356. Nope, didn't care.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

I get waves galore driving around in my '69. Never from anybody driving a water-cooled or Cayenne. Which is weird, as I always waved and/or flash my lights when I'm driving my water-cooled. The waves are usually from folks driving pick-ups or semi's. Go figure.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

I can't even differentiate a Cayenne from the rest of the new cars on the road. Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
    I get waves galore driving around in my '69. Never from anybody driving a water-cooled or Cayenne. Which is weird, as I always waved and/or flash my lights when I'm driving my water-cooled. The waves are usually from folks driving pick-ups or semi's. Go figure.
    Ironically, where I live if I take out a Porsche I get a few waves, but if I take out the Stang, you would think I was passing out money, people love it!

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just adding my avatar to the thread...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Just adding my avatar to the thread...
    I've always admired your avatar!! Once tried to make one myself, but gave up. Haha
    1993 964 C2 GPW
    1973 BMW 2002 Verona (Daily)
    1974 914 2.0 Project A/X (in progress)
    1972 911T 2.4 Webers - SOLD
    89 BMW M3 Lachs - my former DD - SOLD
    https://youtu.be/QrF6VEVh1NQ

My daughter was complaining to me that when she was driving her 75 911 around in Southern California, only about half the Porsche owners would return a wave. I told her that the other half just didn't see her as they were looking at themselves in their mirrors thinking how great they look in their Porsche

If you want a friendly community get a Jeep Wrangler. Those folks go out of their way to wave- about 95% in my experience.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S