Thread: the end of motorsports

the end of motorsports

Despite signing the standard motorsport waiver an very active vintage racer (not one of us) has elected to sue a fellow competitor and a popular major race track for injuries received while recklessly operating a motor scooter at an event in 2018. All motorsports fan should take an interest. If the standard generic waiver is deemed unenforceable it could keep all of us from enjoying a sport dear to our hearts.

Details, please. Reckless operation in the paddock?... possibly also impaired?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by sanders View Post
    Despite signing the standard motorsport waiver an very active vintage racer (not one of us) has elected to sue a fellow competitor and a popular major race track for injuries received while recklessly operating a motor scooter at an event in 2018. All motorsports fan should take an interest. If the standard generic waiver is deemed unenforceable it could keep all of us from enjoying a sport dear to our hearts.
    Care to give us a little more detail, hard to take an interest in a story we are only given the broad strokes on.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Indeed, we should all take note..

There is a lawyer under every rock, and this is not the first of this type of litigation nor will it be the last.

Donohue's widow sued Goodyear claiming a defective race tire.....look at the Italian inquest into Senna's death.

It's always someone else's fault....watch that hot coffee!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

First, that the suit was filed two years after the event tells us something...

As related to me, the incident occurred in the pits on the pro side of Road Atlanta during the Mitty. This witness was there 20 seconds after it happened.

Actor #1 turned his Tahoe into Actor #2 who was on a scooter. "Both at fault. Both stupid". Sounds like idiocy in the pit, not a fault of track management.

Actor #2 was banged up but apparently nothing serious; "he’s just as slow as he was before the mishap".

(Hilarity ensued 3 hours later when Actor #2's pals drew a chalk outline of where he landed on the asphalt.)

Name:  Carlos' Spill.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  190.7 KB

It's unlikely Actor #2 will win the suit... certainly not worthy of fearful hand-wringing.
    Last edited by Bullethead; 04-16-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

member #1515
    Paul Newman almost ran me over with his scooter, Road Atlanta Paddock, maybe I shouldn't have jumped out of the way!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Russell, I'm impressed with your knowledge, however Actor #2 actually has won races since the incident.

It's an inside joke among those who know him, sanders... and not my knowledge, but that of one of his paddock mates, passed along.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Ho Humm
    Lock/Down bordom.
    Anyway thats not a scooter.
    This is mine and I would lean into anyone getting to close to me, especially in the pits.

Name:  Image 27-04-19 at 1.10 PM.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  210.8 KB
    Mark